455 E not getting fuel

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdcook
40C crawler
40C crawler

455 E not getting fuel

Post by jdcook » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Wife and daughter are out of town and I had plans of pushing trees, moving dirt and maybe some saw milling. The perfect weekend! But, the loader and the farm tractor are now down.

I was pushing a tree on a down hill slope and the track loader stalled. I tried to restart but it sputtered. I figured it was low on fuel and the slope caused me to suck air. So I put 10 gallons of diesel in and I was almost full. So, I don’t think it was the fuel. It has a 30 gallon tank.

I bleed the lines at the fuel filter, I checked to see that fuel was returning to the tank, I cracked the line that goes into the injector pump and a steady stream came out. I checked the wire to the pump and it showed almost 12 volts when the key was turned on... I heard a click also when I turned the key so I think the fuel shut off solenoid or what ever it is called is good.

I saw just a hint of smoke and maybe almost a sputter after I had bleed the line going into the injector pump. I think I heard a sputter at one point after bleeding the filter as well.

It is hard to get at everything with the bucket down and full of dirt but the injector pump has a small plate on it that I think says stanadyne.

Should I crack a line at an injector and see if fuel comes out there? I am not sure which is the injector and which is the overflow?

How can I be sure it is the injector pump?

It does not look that hard to get off. Should I take it off and take it in somewhere to be rebuilt? Can it be rebuilt? Where? How much?

Thanks for any help

Dave

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Dave don't touch the pump yet !get the fuel flowing first and get it running .Just make sure that the fuel is flowing first and it is clean .you would get no smoke when you crank if it is the pump .The return lines have low pressure fittings and are usually on a T fitting to the top of the injector while injector lines are single lines running to the top side of the injectors directly from the pump unit itself .The trick to a crawler loader is always change filters regularly so you aren't trying to get the loader out of the way for servicing when it quits at work P.S.remember the in fuel feed line filter screens at the tank and or entering the injector pump they will bung up as well .I have seen more people rebuild the injector pump when all they had to do was clean those main line screens check those screens .get the fuel flowing and get a injector line cracked loose when it starts close up the line .Digitup.

jdcook
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdcook » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks I will check the screen and replace the filter. I thought since I was geting fuel at the injector pump inlet and at the filter bleeder that it must be further down the line. But, maybe I am just not getting enough fuel. It seems like it was not too long ago that I changed the fuel filter, but I did have a heck of a time getting it bleed and running again afterwards.

I guess it makes sense to spend a little time changing the filter and cleaning that screen just incase, before I get into big money.

Thanks Dave

jdcook
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdcook » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

I can't seem to get the screen out of the tank. The plastic slot is stripped off. Do you think if I push it in it will come out inside the tank? I cant tell if there is enough clearence between the bottom of the tank and the intake tube. The tube curves down towards the bottom of the tank. I may end up taking the tank off to try and dump it out and clean out any of the pieces. Thought it would be simple to replace that screen but no such luck.

Dave

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 am

I have had some trouble with those fuel tanks I have had a small stick jam in the outlet several times I gave up on that screen several times a couple of times I even blew air back into the fuel line and pumped the fuel back out the top and filtered everything that went back in I have a 1 inch 12 v pump and filter system that will suck off the bottom of a fuel tank and filter everything that goes back in I disturb everything I can in the bottom of of the tank and filter it all till the tank bottom is as clean as possible then clean the lines and flush that.About 6 years ago I had some of my completion put several hands full of peat dirt in my fuel tank on one of the drainage plows .They were caught in the act but it was in the middle of no where so I made a portable12v pump that filtered and you can clean the fuel tanks now .We have added a centrifugal filter before a screen filter then the canister filter so you can just stir the fuel up and clean away .I just bought an 06, 550J from down south and it had fuel problems I took several hours and cleaned it up we even use it to clean up the supply tanks it is amazing what crap the fuel delivery man dumps in my tanks alone what settles in them .You can't keep dirt out of the tank if you use jerry cans they seem to attract dirt no mater how careful you are.Digitup.