JD450 CRAWLER LOADER ARM PINS

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 CRAWLER LOADER ARM PINS

Post by Mariner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:50 am

Just wondering if the loader arm pins are of a very hard material in the centre areas ? The outside case hardening would only be probably 0.0030" at most ?

The arms on my bucket loader are pretty sloppy and I was wondering about drilling and tapping holes in the pin centre (say 3/4" diameter) and then putting a thick end plate on to clamp the pin. This would tighten up the slop but still allow operation if the linkages.

I am wondering if it is doable ? Has any one tried to do this - if you have did it work and was it worth trying out ?

Thanks

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:19 am

I have only had a couple of crawler loaders but we give the pins a half turn and that gives the loader a lot less slop just turning the pins .Some times you can flip directional pins or even swap left to right positioning we do this on all our excavator and backhoe loaders as well some of our dozer main pins from side to side and half turn 180 degrees works wonders some times .Mark original position with a pin punch then you can refer back to original or set opposite at any time .Digitup.