450C Spool Valve 6 Way

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 am

Agreed on the tech manual error. I'm lucky that our company has a very good mechanic that kind of oversees what I'm doing and gives me tips, etc. as I go. He convinced me it had to be wrong or I would have probably put it back together per the book and had to take it all back out again.

LP, not sure my part numbers would help as we have two different models.
You can go here to look up your parts: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt

The O-rings are relatively cheap - like $2 each. There are two per spool - 1 top and bottom - then then also one at each connection so like 12 total or $24. The detent segment was $86 and the spring was maybe $8 so it really wasn't too expensive.

The most difficult part was just disconnecting the hydraulic lines - you need crow's foot wrenches to get in there - lucky again as our mechanic lets me use his tools.

I punch marked the top of each spool so they went back in the exact same way - same cylinder and same rotation.

It helps to have a little pick tool to get each O-ring out of their grooves at the top and bottom of each spool. Then oil and pop in the top ring only, slide in the spool just far enough to clear the bottom o-ring groove, pop in the bottom O-ring and re-assemble. Something I learned the hard way: if you push the spool in too far past the bottom o-ring groove, you will end up having to push or pull the spool back out which will likely destroy the O-ring because all the edges on the spool are very sharp except the top and bottom edges which are rounded. Hopefully this makes sense - if you look at it it should.

Not too difficult but I could do it a lot faster/better now having done it once. Hope it helps.

Bill
450C