450c steering problems

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Deerefred
40C crawler
40C crawler

450c steering problems

Post by Deerefred » Sun May 08, 2011 5:43 am

HI guys

I have recently brought a 450c with 6 way blade and rippers EX australian army with only 1600 hrs in great condition, will post pics soon, how-ever when using it digging shallow drains on friday I noticed occassionally when engauging left steering clutch the forward motion to both tracks will cease and nothing loads up or anything, back up and steering to right a couple of times and all is well again, this has happened a few times, all oil levels to my knowledge are ok.......what do I need to look for ,adjustments or what?.......thanks for a great site here guys!!!

FROM down-under, FRED
JD 450-6 WAY BLADE and RIPPERS
JD "A" -46
JD "40-S" -55
LANZ BULLDOG MODEL-H 2418

Deerefred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Deerefred » Sat May 21, 2011 3:20 am

ANY suggestions to above question would be appreciated, I am now thinking maybe sticking valve??
JD "A" -46
JD "40-S" -55

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Similar Dozer, Same Problem?

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 am

Gee, lots of views, no ideas?

My "C" has intermittent power to the left track. When the left track is in certain positions it won't pull and the right one does all the work. I try to steer right and nothing happens. Then I re-engage the right track moving the left one on around a bit, and it will engage again and allow the right turn.

It seems like these wet clutches are held engaged, not by springs as in a dry clutch, but by hydraulic pressure. But since mine is position sensitive it acts like maybe a clutch plate or part is warped or something. I haven't had it apart yet and the manual's pictures and diagrams so far have failed to yield clarity.

Does anyone who has had these 450 C steering clutches apart have any idea where to start troubleshooting?
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Deerefred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Deerefred » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks Jack,...It has me stumped as well, but as yet I havent explored thoroughly other than my mechanic thinks it maybe the steering valve sticking and causing one clutch not to release,....mine too is the left hand side one.....it will work perfect for hours then all of a sudden play up....as soon as I get some time after planting I wll start investigation in ernest.

FRED
JD "A" -46
JD "40-S" -55

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

450C Left Track Intermittent Drive

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 am

Fred,

Have you had any more insights or successes in getting your left track to drive normally? I have not had the time to look into mine further but would like to get on with it.

For the group:

Does anyone have experience pulling and working on 450C clutches? I've done a complete rebuild on my 450B but there appears to be significant differences. What should I watch out for that might be different?

Anyone have any hints on how to troubleshoot the hydraulic clutch actuating system for the 450C before doing a tear down? I have reviewed the manual several times and still remain in a quandary.

Since the problem seems to be a function of the position of the clutch, it implies there is an imbalance (or "warpage") in the pressure around the clutch. (Very technical description :oops:.) Do the 450C clutches have three pressure adjustments like standard dry clutches? Any posts covered this yet? I've watched for them but admit to being AWOL for the last year.

Jack
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I need to say up front that the 450s are not my specialty. However, I ran into this same issue on a 400G once. The only difference was it was the right side doing what you are describing. The fix came with proper adjustments in the linkages. The steering valve wasn't allowing enough pressure to fully engage the clutch. It also occurred when the machine was hot and had run for a while. It could be a valve sticking as well but I would run your adjustments and see what happens.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Adjustments

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Leonard,

That's encouraging and gives me something to try before breaking down the whole clutch. I'll check that out once it gets shipped to me.

Jack

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 450c steering problems

Post by Martin0804 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Hey guys, what were you able to figure out with your problems? Just got a 450c and am having the exact same problem

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450c steering problems

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Good afternoon.

You are 100% sure it is a C with wet clutches? I only ask as the 450s seem to have a habit of turning up with C decals on them because people don't understand the serial number system when they get repainted. The 450 steering clutches are different than the 450C steering clutches and that has caused confusion in the past.

First question is do you have the John Deere Technical Manual (TM1102)and Operator's Manual (OMT62743) for your machine? I ask as you need those to guide you through doing the engine clutch and valve adjustments first, then the steering clutch and brake adjustments. These need to be done in the order given in the technical manual, and done completely, for the systems to work properly. While you are at it adjust the HLR linkage as well. The linkages have been know to get out of alignment with the gates and that has lead to unexpected movement for some. Once you know the linkages and adjustments are correct, you can go from there to diagnose your problem, if it still exists. I would recommend starting your own post with the info related to your machine rather than tagging on to an old post.
Jim