Gas 350 starting/running problem

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CavinJim
MC crawler
MC crawler

Gas 350 starting/running problem

Post by CavinJim » Thu May 26, 2011 8:39 am

Hi all,
I sure hope that one of you can offer me some enlightenment on a problem that has me totally befuddled!

The issue is with a mid-60s 350 loader with a 93A backhoe. It is gas fueled. The hour meter shows 980 hours (I'm suspicious of this, though). The machine had sat for about 5 years before I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. I had to rebuild the steering clutches and do quite a bit of other maintenance to get it going again--and go it does! It's tough not to like a 350. I haven't put more than about 10 hours on it since I've had it going, and most of the time it starts up, winter or summer, within a few seconds of cranking (I don't think the engine turns over twice before it's off and running!).

One day I was using it and the engine chugged to a stop as if it ran out of gas. I had a devil of a time getting it restarted, but once it ran again, it ran like a top. Several months later, it happened again--but this time I knew it wasn't out of fuel. It had a spark, though weak, and would pop like it was trying to start. The fuel pump had a small leak so that was replaced (as was the fuel filter). It has new plugs, new plug wires, new coil (some previous owner had put the wrong coil on it), new condenser, and new points. I removed and essentially rebuilt the starting solenoid. The problem turned out to be a short in the condenser lead--after that was fixed the spark was audible (huge spark) and the old beast was off and running. A few weeks ago I was working on a culvert and if she didn't sputter and die (and this was after running like a top for over 30 minutes). The spark and timing are fine, I pulled the carb (for the 10th time) and replaced the gas shut-off solenoid with a manual adjusting main jet and still can't get her to do more than pop once or twice. Fuel flow is fine (it even siphons out of the tank!), fuel is clean and fresh, spark is good... and I'm fresh out of ideas. :roll:
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Jim-

Good to see you made it through the storms yesterday- it got pretty rough here and I imagine there as well. I have a co-worker in Rolla that had to duck and cover yesterday.

Anyhow are a few additional ideas:

Air flow is important- have you checked to make sure air filtering isn't restricted?

Also are you sure that fuel is actually getting to the plugs? Sometimes floats get stuck and while the fuel flow is free the bowl won't fill if float is stuck up. it sounds like you have looked closely at this though.

Adjustment of the carb is pretty important for consistent running, although you should be able to at least keep it started although running rough if it was out of adjustment.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

CavinJim
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CavinJim » Thu May 26, 2011 12:47 pm

I did consider the airflow issue. Most of the time when I was trying to start it I had the breather hose disconnected and have also tried without the air filter installed when the breather hose was connected. When I removed the main mixture/fuel shutoff solenoid the carb was still installed--that's when it was siphoning fuel out of the gas tank, past the float valve, and through the carb body, so no stuck float there!

When it runs, it runs great but a little rich (couldn't adjust the main mixture, but I can now :) ). It's possible the points are shorted again and that it is a pesky intermittent short (it took a month to find it last time as it only shorted when it was just starting to run and the vibration would do it in!). What's is puzzling, to me, is that it goes from running very well, to chugging and dying. I did get it started long enough to lift the stabilizers and pull the backhoe boom in, but that was all she wrote.

Just for fun: I had the crawler half in the county road ditch with one track down 6-8 inches in mud. Couldn't leave it there.... so I pulled it out with my Toyota Tundra. I've also had to pull my dump truck with the Tundra....that pickup has earned more than one smile! :D

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 am

CavinJim wrote:Just for fun: I had the crawler half in the county road ditch with one track down 6-8 inches in mud. Couldn't leave it there.... so I pulled it out with my Toyota Tundra. I've also had to pull my dump truck with the Tundra....that pickup has earned more than one smile! :D
it sure would be nice to pull out a crawler with a pickup truck- I have a tough time getting my 2010 out of minor mishaps with my grain truck!
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment