JD 350 steering clutch disks order

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

rodger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rodger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Tracks seem to be staying tight now, relatively. Could it have been air in the grease?

New problem......s.....
I drained the steering clutch housing and found out, I think why right steering suddenly got sluggish, aside from the water that came out after the night submerged, thick oil is still dripping out, slowly but still the fact that any oil is coming out tells me that one of the new seals is leaking.

Any quick fixes so I can keep fencing?

Also I now find there is clearly an engine oil leak so more work later for right now I will just keep topping her up.

And also radiator has small hole near top, if I leave the cap off so no pressure builds up to force out the fluid will she run ok, until that can get fixed along with the oil leak?
JD350, to the rescue

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 am

I'm guessing you put gear oil in the finals and that's what you're seeing dripping? The only quick fix is to leave that lower drain plug out, keep topping off the final, and don't fall through into the water table again :)

rodger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rodger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:06 am

What I don't understand is the seal on the inside was at the top of the final, a small quantity of oil was in the final which should not be forcing out the seal at the top as it should just be dribbling up to the top on the gears.

With oil and water on the clutches is there a way to clean them without dismantling the final again, I was thinking of spraying Gas mist into the plug hole at the bottom....

Anyone had any similar experiences???

With regard to swamping, I bought her to do what wheeled vehicles can't do drive through swamp, I don't need her copying my F150.....
JD350, to the rescue

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:31 am

Oil can not be successfully removed from fiber clutch discs. I don't care what the surface looks like, you can brake clean or whatever on them til hell freezes over, but 30 minutes after you start running the crawler again, the heat will boil the embedded oil to the surface all over again, been there, done that, learned that lesson the hard way. If you are going to continue to run the crawler, you are going to need to replace the fiber discs again.
As for gas, it is a petroleum product, and is not substantially different than oil as far as clutches go. You never use any sort of petroleum product on a friction type surface like clutches or brakes, got that pounded into my head back in my younger day in the automotive field. Only catch would be clutches that are designed to run in oil like on the later crawlers.
Lavoy