Dirt Build Up on tracks

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Dirt Build Up on tracks

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:15 pm

While using the 350B today, we noticed a significant amount of dirt building up around the tracks. We know that dozers sometimes throw tracks, and we are trying to keep that from happening. Do the tracks need to be cleaned off or will the dirt just fall off and they will be fine?

Thanks a bunch,
J&E
We're not bottom feeders, we're salvage experts!

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 pm

I have known dozers to be packed iwth dirt from the top track to the under carriage.

You should try to clean it up at the end of the day after your work is done. It will cut down on your maintenance.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

So... are you saying it is best to clean them, but if we don't its OK?

Thanks,

J&E

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I wouldn't lose much sleep if they aren't cleaned.If you are in heavy mud clean up every evening and if temperatures drop have them clean early every night so the tracks don't freeze up .A good operator will never leave tracks dirty over night no mater what the conditions .Also clean tracks when going from wet conditions to dry as dry clean tracks roll more efficiently.You can throw tracks off if you don't clean them .I have been known to stop my operators and make them clean tracks .I had an operator tell me he had a sore back and couldn't clean them .So I told him he would have a sore ass to go with it if he left them for ten more minutes .He cleaned them right away !It's just best to keep your tracks as clean as possible .The dozer looks better and runs better .Two of my guys were talking lately and it was explained to the newer operator that if he got paid to clean tracks in the evening then do It .Our guys are the highest paid ones around and there are always guys looking for a job .It is just good dozing if you keep them clean as possible .It shows respect for your machine !.Digitup.

JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Digitup-

Thanks a bunch for all of that :!:

J&E

MADJACK
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MADJACK » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm

good to know, I thought I ws being rediculous and anal cleaning mine off all the time.

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 am

Jay . My 350 will unload any pressure with the spring on the track adjuster, it shouldn't through a track if evey thing is working right an the adjustment is ok.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm

One thing I have noticed on all Deere dozers old and newer is that you should keep the drives clean on top and around the sprockets .The clay will build up and bind between the drive housing casting and the bottom of the track if you don't keep that clean then you will throw a track eventually .I have been fortunate to be able to push dirt in darned near every corner of Canada and some spots in the United States as well some times I didn't have to clean tracks at all others were the most sticky clay garbage going depends on ground conditions .We have three dozers in Niagara Falls right now and the heavy clay is enough to lift the chains and lay under the grousers which tends to twist the tracks up to the inside and cause premature wear to the inside of the chains if you don't clean the crawler often you just would wish you had .It's good practice and better for the machine all around .My dozers are worth too much to me to have premature track wear so we keep them cleaned up at night .Digitup.