Broken Backhoe

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Broken Backhoe

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm

So... This afternoon while pulling stumps, we sheared a pin on the backhoe AND broke what seemed to be part of the swing mechanism. Attached are some pictures but it says that the "type" is 9250.

We are looking for the swing part, not the bolt, on the cheap. Hopefully we can find one in New England so shipping is not so expensive... Maybe there is one in a junk yard or in someone's back yard.

Attached a link to the photos.

One more thing... We don't have a service manual and we are wondering if someone who has one can maybe find the part # for us.

Thanks a bunch,
ebben

Here is the link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1088890998 ... directlink
We're not bottom feeders, we're salvage experts!

nthomp78
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by nthomp78 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Looks like the part # is AU42102 John Deere's description: Link; SWING, OUTER (INCLUDES U43207 PIN, U43203 BUSHINGS, AND JD7806 GREASE FITTING)

You can go to jdparts.com click on the parts catalog and then search for your model number. It will then show you pictures with part numbers.

Good luck.
450B Crawler Loader w/ Backhoe

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

You can see the sectional parts diagrams for the 9250 hoe attachment at this link:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt

if you drill down into the sectional index (10-Frames, Stabilizer, Boom, Dipperstick, and Buckets) and (5A- Mast and Swing Linkage), I think you will find your broken part which appears to be the outer swing link (part AU42102). JD shows it is no longer available.

You may want to try Ed at Crawler Heaven- he is located in upstate NY. You may need to look at other crawler boneyards across the country and have it shipped.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for your quick help. I just wanted to point out a couple of things. First, my son Ebben is devastated that he snapped the link on the backhoe today. The crawler was his grandfathers who unfortunately and unexpectedly passed away last November. He was not just a grandfather.... he was our best friend. It came as a surprise to me not long ago that Ebben (who is only 13 years old) had been taught how to run the 350 - without me ever knowing it! Grandpa was one of a kind...

The site work that you see in the photos is the first phase of our attempt to build a shelter to protect the crawler and his tractor. We really want to take the best care of them.... they mean so much to us!

The sadness around here is compounded by the fact that just two weeks after Phil passed away, my father (grandpa #2) was killed in an accident. He was always there for Ebben - and very proud of Ebbens efforts around the homestead and shop.

I myself am not a heavy equipment operator - but I get around the shop pretty well. It is six months now and I am just getting my feet on the ground after the losses. My son was so upset tonight... and I really don't know where to turn.... I am hoping that somebody out there may know somebody who has a used part we can buy. Or if anyone has some time and thinks they may be able to locate a used part we would be VERY appreciative of your efforts. Just call us if you have any luck.... we will be searching ourselves as well but it sounds like these parts are rare (for obvious reasons).

Thank you in advance.

I enclosed a favorite photo of mine of Ebben.... I think some of you will begin to see how this kid thinks. https://picasaweb.google.com/1088890998 ... directlink

Respectfully

Jay Whitehair 802.649.5350[/img]

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:41 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:29 am

Jay. That looks to be easy repair for a decent welder.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 am

Isn't that all hardened steel? Can hardened steel be welded?

Thanks,
ebben

dozingdozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

broken pin

Post by dozingdozer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am

your broken pin looks more like a broken mounting bracket. you might be able to remove the back hoe attachement and take the braket off and take it to a local welder for a quick fix. this part has great stress on it and i would suspect there are other fractures on the swing arm brackets that could benfit from some good welding. i would suggest you dont weld it in place, in otherr words on the machine, since that thickness of steel will require excellent prep nd cleaning to do a decent weld job. longer term fix is to find a new bracket somewhere. dd
76 JD 350 CE dozer-85 Vermeer 434 trencher w/bhoe

JAY AND EBBEN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAY AND EBBEN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 pm

We found a part from Conroe Tractor in Texas. It was about $180.

Thanks you very much for all of your help... It's been great!

Ebben

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Jay No that would be mild steel so it can take the stress an flexing . Hight carbon steel would be on the tracks , pins, rollers, wear plates on the bucket and teeth. There is alot of cast iron on the machine. You can do a spark test with grinder ,harden steel will have a very fine spark. cast iron no spark. I suspect it was craked for some time. I go over my machine evey day and have welded serious cracks , if ya find any fix it becaus it will only brake with use.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe