Starter wasn't problem on 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
RMAC
420 crawler
420 crawler

Starter wasn't problem on 450

Post by RMAC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I had a mechanic look at my 450 last week, and it turns out I fused a bearing to the rod in the #4 cylinder, he pulled the motor and took it apart and is going to see if he can have the camshaft machined or if it is going to need a new camshaft, he also discovered the fuel pump had failed and I was getting fuel in my oil.
The previous mechanic who I hired to helicoil the 4 threads in my clutch housing put Caterpillar bolts in instead of the 7/8" bolts that were original to the machine, they were much longer than the original and were torqued tight up against the flywheel, and actually scored it. In any event he is pretty much going to rebuild the engine and reinstall it sometime next week.
I also talked with him about installing a hydraulic 6 way blade to replace the manual blade that's there and he said it would be a fairly simple alteration, PB&H has a used one for 1,500.00 and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of retrofit?
1966 JD 450 Crawler, 1986 Case Super E Backhoe, 2001 Kubota 7800, 1986 GMC 1 ton dump truck,1991 GMC Topkick dump truck