JD 555 Transmission Problems?!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JoeT
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 555 Transmission Problems?!

Post by JoeT » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:21 am

The Antique Tractors forums have all kinds of bad things to say about the 555 transmissions. I just ran a search and couldn't hardly find anything about the 555 on this one. As I mentioned in another post tonight, I am going to have to do some repair work on my right hand steering clutches and maybe more - haven't opened her up yet!

If anyone has any suggestions on weak spots to checks, nifty repair short cuts, and any other relevant ideas, please jump right in.

Thanks

Joe

P.S. CAT comments not needed! chuckle!

jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jboettcher » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Joe T.
I have a 555A crawler (Bucket). I have no words of wisdom for you, but so far have did all my own repairs, just not tranmission. Currently trying to reseal/bearings etc. on final drives. When you have any wisdom of your own please share.

Thanks
Jim Boettcher

JoeT
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by JoeT » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:56 am

Jim

You said you are "trying to reseal/bearings" on your machine. Your wording makes it sound like you are having problems doing so?

I have a page or so of info on the clutch business that I will post when I get a chance to refine it. I got the rear end back together and on the road again, but now the front seal on the transmission is leaking pretty good apparantly because of higher transmission pressure. Just more to do, Sigh!

Joe

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:46 pm

I put close to 20 thousand hours on a 550.a 550A and 550B dozers I had good luck with all of them and the B was the one that I did not have very long so the others had 8000 hours of good runing each and verry little down time.Others have complained about this model to me though and I tell them greatest dozer I owned ! JIM how is your 555 doing I was wondering when I would here from you on that repair job of the rear drive unit I think the problem with the 555 is that a lot of stress can be put on the drives when the loader is in full lift power and you are still stuffen the power to it a lot of stress is put on the drivesand with a torque converter the stress is compounded you would think that a torque converter is easyer on a drive train but [they dont call it a torque converter for nothing]that converter is a 4.55 stall ratio meaning that it can put 4.55xthe torque than a clutch and still live to work an other day so next time you work that converter just remember some time it might not want to take it CAT has an article out on crawler loaders and it says that crawler loaders take up to 14 times the drive train punishment that dozers take and drive one third of the distance in a life time I guess that the small deeres can only take so much and as far as I am conserned still the best in class . Digitup.