Newbie to dozers, needing advice!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
athollinger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Newbie to dozers, needing advice!

Post by athollinger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey gang I am new to the dozer world. I have been operating a small construction business for the past few years, and am looking at getting a used dozer. I have a john deere 332D skidsteer and a 60D mini excavator and a single axle dump truck, and having a small to mid size dozer I think would be advantageous. I am good with mechanics, but know very little about dozers, and the track systems on my mini and a dozer are worlds apart. Basically im looking for any info you guys can give me to be able to go out and look at a used dozer and determine if it is in ok shape or not. Such as what all to look at on the tracks, final drives, trans, how many hours are too many hours, pedal steer vs foot steer, and many of the options that are out there. Remember I know nothing about dozers so I owe a cold beer to anybody that can give me plenty of advice :D

The second thing Id like to find more about is the models. Im probably looking at a 450, 550 or 650. I have a 10 ton construction trailer, and doubt I can go any bigger than the 650 due to weight. From what I can tell the letter behind the number indicates the model year ranges. Im hoping to find a dozer that is in the late 80's to the mid 90's to try to keep the machine affordable, it looks like this age range is a "G"? My budget is about 20k. Can somebody break down the difference between the 450, 550, and 650? I plan on putting in driveways, doing site clearing and pond digging.
Thanks in advance for all the forthcoming help!!!
Andy

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 am

Andy here is my view of your dilemma first foot steer is peddle steer and every one avoids foot steer as it is a big contributor too back problems in the labor force so just stay clear of them unless you are the one runnin it go leaver steer . 650Gs are 20000 lbs so your trailer is maxed plus in most States at that point .The 450Gs and 550Gs are good units but price according to track life .a 450G will do most of what you are expecting to do and are nice to pull around but a 550G will not pull around not quite as nice and will be 25 percent more machine when it hits the job site it is up to you .I have one 450J , 4- 550Js and 2 650s a H and a J as well as several Cats in trim dozers .But in 42 years we are still looking four the ultimate in dozers I think it would be a 450 Deere size that can push like a D8!.Digitup.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi: I'd recommend a 450c. Strong and nimble. They have wet clutches and are still available in good shape in your price range - even with winches or backhoes. They are fuel efficient and a lot of mechanics are familiar with them. Make sure that any machine you look at is "tight". It's common to find machines that the owner has let bolts that hold the engine to the frame and to the transmission and to the reverser get loose and this causes very expensive problems. Check for frame cracks. Check on the undercarriage wear - It's often the most costly upgrade.

Good luck in your search for a good, usable tractor.

I'd recommend having some one with experience in fixing a crawler come with you when you find a good prospect that you're interested in; It may be very helpful if that person sees a problem that you may not, and shares his knowledge.
BTW, a 450 will haul on your trailer.
Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch