350C fuel filter/fuel pressure question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

350C fuel filter/fuel pressure question

Post by MarkW » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Greetings everyone!

I've been lurking for quite a while here, then I finally went out and got a 350C diesel with a loader so now I have to start posting dumb questions!

To begin with, I finally got my crawler home as it has been elsewhere for a while, so now I can begin to work on it in earnest. right now it has the classic issue of it will start and run fine for anything from 20 seconds to a minute. Then it needs to sit for several minutes.

I've removed the return line downstream of the check valve and when it is running I get fuel. I removed the timing cover (it is a solid and not clear one) and haven't found mouse turds there, I did get one or two tiny flecks of grit but I am not certain whether or not it was from there or was hidden on the piece of paper towel I placed under the cover when I removed it and they fell off from the outside. I rubbed them and they felt gritty and not rubbery. Fuel flow to the fuel pump is fine, I got a nice stream and let it run for about a quart.

Anyway.... before I start going into the pump I want to check the fuel pump. The fuel filter has the fuel inlet coming in on the lower right side. There is a plug on the upper right side and I am wondering if I can install a hose barb there to check fuel pump pressure? In addition, can I then install another inlet fuel supply point there- I am thinking of hooking up an electric pump I have and that would be a good place, but if it is designed to be a second outlet then any fuel coming in would be unfiltered. I can add a filter to the electric pump but in my way of thinking I'd rather have the fuel pass through the original filter.

Once I verify it is getting plenty of fuel at the proper pressure then I can start thinking about pulling the injector pump, but just want to verify that is the actual problem first.

A couple of other items- First I'd like to thank Lavoy for having this forum and spending some time on the phone with me a week ago answering a bunch of inane question!

I have some experience with heavy equipment but do not consider myself an "expert" by any stretch! I am a certified master mechanic and master engine machinist but that and a dollar is good for a cup of coffee except at Starbucks.

I've used this machine on and off for the last couple of years and it has in general been well taken care of.

I have the operators manual, service manual, and parts manual for it as well.

Injection pump is a Stanadyne JDB331

When I get it running again I'll have another batch of questions, but have to get this one figured out first!

Thanks for reading!

Mark

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi

You might want to check the outlet screen at your fuel tank. Also the plug on the filter housing is to bleed air, but im pretty sure it is where fuel pressure is checked. They dont run allot of pressure, the procedure is outlined in the service manual