track tensioner

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
wally
40C crawler
40C crawler

track tensioner

Post by wally » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:12 pm

i've got an aftermarket undercarriage, a berco, for my 350b. i slipped a track the other day, and to get it back on, i attempted to collapse the tensioner (which worked). still couldn't get the track back on, since i was doing it by myself. i solved it by removing the master pin, and then could lift the "ends" back onto the correct location.

however, i can't seem to get the tensioner to extend now. grease just flows back out the fitting, and out the relief hole under the piston, where the adjuster would normally allow grease to escape.

any ideas?

wally
member, new hampshire timberland owners association

wally
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by wally » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:53 pm

solved the relief hole grease problem.

is it likely that the grease fitting has failed? or that something has contaminated it, preventing it from sealing? i suppose i can buy a new fitting and see if that works.

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by DBCSteve » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Wally --

There are many threads on tbis topic, use search command. If you have the old style tensioner, the internal seal may have been ripped. If the tensioner rod is rusty instead of shiny, I'd guess that is what happened. Some owners have cleaned up and rebuilt, I installed new tensioners since rods on both sides were pitted badly (on my 450 C). My new tensioners were $500-600 each.

If it is the old style tensioner, there is a ball and spring under the fitting. If not replaced it will not hold.
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

wally
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by wally » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:01 am

i did utilize the search function prior to posting.

virtually every one dealt with a frozen tensioner, which isn't my problem. the tensioner can be moved relatively easily with a jack or come-along. it won't stay tight, because grease escapes from the nipple. the relief hole issue i've solved.

i found a grease fitting of the same size in my misc. parts that i'll try. it's frustrating because the fitting held grease prior to the track popping off, and now it won't. maybe it failed and that's why the track slipped off anyway. whatever.