550 Engine Pull Question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
adamshuss
420 crawler
420 crawler

550 Engine Pull Question

Post by adamshuss » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Just bought my first power shift dozer, 1977 550. Engine is drinking antifreeze, the head was checked by previous owner with new head gasket installed and problem persisted, I am assuming it is a liner. With that said I am going to pull the motor. I have a repair manual coming next week but I was hoping to pull the engine tomorrow. My question is: Does the torque converter unbolt like a car converter or is it different? If it is like a car is there access to get at the bolts? Thanks.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Two things here is the antifreeze showing up in the motor oil ?If it is then you have a liner issue if not figure where the antifreeze is going to before removing the motor .Get back to us on your findings .Number two leave the converter attached to the ring gear and lube the pump drive with Vaseline when it comes time to put the old Deere back together.Digitup .

adamshuss
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by adamshuss » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Yes the antifreeze is in the oil and thank you. I assume the front of the tractor has to come off to let the motor slide forward enough to clear the converter? I know I should wait for the manual but I am too anxious to get this thing apart. Thanks.