JD 450C track rebuild

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
milkie62
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 450C track rebuild

Post by milkie62 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:07 am

Is a track rebuild something I can do myself ? I have been looking at a 450C recently.The pins in the track are not round.I heard that they can be turned by pushing out with a press.Is this something I can rent or could I get something welded up to do it with.My nephew is a pretty good fabricator welder.Also are most parts still available for this machine ? Blade is in nice shape so I assume it was not beat on too much. Thanks Ed

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 am

It takes a very large industrial press, I don't think it would be something you could (or would want to) rent. If you take the pads off yourself and take chains in to a track shop they can do this for you though. The conventional wisdom these days seems to be that you're better off just running out the rails without turning them and then buying new aftermarket chains. On smaller dozers, the economics of the labor costs vs the cost of new imported chains makes the new chains cost effective. It never hurts to check prices for both options though.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Ed-

Replacing pins and bushings is very dangerous without a true track press, and even with a track press the operator can get hurt. Best to leave this operation to the professionals.

BTW, what you are seeing out of round is likely the bushings rather than the pins.

There are a lot of good threads on this subject if you search the archives on here.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 am

when you say out of round how much? you will get wear, you have to turn the pins and bushings BEFORE they wear through the bushing and when its done on a track press only half of the pad bolts have to come out
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

milkie62
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by milkie62 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:17 pm

I did not realize there were imported replacement tracks.Approx how much are these compared to JD ? I have 100 acres and the machine will not leave the property.I just figure I could replace parts or rebuild a machine as needed.By that time it could be handed down to my son who could use it until he is a ripe old age.Seems like a 450 woulld be a logical machine to get since there seems to be alot of them out there.Plus I like toys.

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by DBCSteve » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 am

milkie62 wrote:I did not realize there were imported replacement tracks.Approx how much are these compared to JD ? I have 100 acres and the machine will not leave the property.I just figure I could replace parts or rebuild a machine as needed.By that time it could be handed down to my son who could use it until he is a ripe old age.Seems like a 450 woulld be a logical machine to get since there seems to be alot of them out there.Plus I like toys.
I got a set of Berco fully assembled tracks -- chains and mounted pads -- for about $4,000 last year. For that price I also got two new sprockets. My JD dealer suggested Berco for both quality and price. I am in the same situation, 200 acres and my 450C will stay in the family. Put about 100 hours on it since new undercarriage installed. It is a much more capable dozer than my 350B was, at least for the heavier work I've done.

Wear does not just occur on one part. Check sprockets, rollers, idler for both tolerance and wear. My sprockets were worn to sharp points, but everything else was in good shape. The only other thing I had to replace were the track adjusters, since the pistons were badly rusted and seals were torn.
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 am

It requires a track press, a standard style press will not do it, completely different.
As some have said, put on new rails, and be done with it. I can get you a quote if you want.
Lavoy