550 Trans question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
adamshuss
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by adamshuss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Changed oil with no change in performance. Put a gauge on the main pressure port and had 50psi in neutral and 110psi while in any gear, while at a fast idle. Any more clues?

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 am

That is all it takes to figure that you are going to experience a rebuild as your pump and shifter selector system are getting the proper oil pressure but when you put it in gear the oil leaks out the clutch packs .I hate to be the messenger of bad news but you need to rebuild clutch packs in an other wise healthy transmission .Piston seals went and may have taken the friction plates with them.I would replace the seals and all the friction plates as it will make that 550 shift great as they did from the factory .Digitup.

adamshuss
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by adamshuss » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:25 pm

The machine sat for a year while the motor was bad, previous owner swore on his mothers life the tranny was in perfect order when parked. I have assumed seals went bad while sitting. The machine only has 1700 hours, I ran it for 2 hrs as is, should I still play it safe and replace all friction discs while I am in there? Thanks

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 pm

As I have pointed out before .The frictions and steel plates warp under heat as the frictions slip on the steels even immersed in oil they heat like crazy and Deere makes great plates and steels but they will warp fast in the heat and when they do you have to replace them or they will slip after a rebuild to test them just set them on a good flat spot or put a straight edge across them if they are warped either the steel or the friction plate scrap them and get new parts.The clutch pack will never work right if you don't We always replace with new.Now you don't have to just don't put warped plates back in or the rebuild will be a waste of time .You get into it you will see what I mean I didn't learn this over night either when you feel that you have spent a few years in the same grade at the school of hard knocks then you don't mind sharing some info . Digitup .