straight 350 diesel bogs when

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
aoakley321
MC crawler
MC crawler

straight 350 diesel bogs when

Post by aoakley321 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:18 am

I have a straight 350 dozer we purchased about a month ago. Everything has been running fine other than the right side has no steering at times. I have adjusted per the manual but need a brake band. The problem I am having now after running for about 4 hours yesterday it seemed like it lost power under a load. If i just float the blade and back grade it will bog the engine down until I push in the tractor clutch. When the clutch is in the engine will rev back up and run fine. I thought it might of been low on fuel filled it up and still having the same problem.

Is there a governor on the diesel engine?

Could it be a fuel filter problem?

Any ideas you have will be helpful Thanks

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 am

I'll post a generic question or two here, but my suggestion is to wait until someone more learned replies as well.

Anyway, does it bog down in both directions or just backwards? When it bogs, does the exhaust change color by either clearing up a bit or getting a bit blacker? Does the engine sound like it is laboring at all when it is bogging down?

Lastly, have you checked the fuel filter is moderately clean? Also, you can check fuel flow to the lift pump and also at the injection pump.

However, other than checking that I'd suggest waiting for another reply or two inn case there might be a drivetrain issue or something I am not thinking of. I don't want to sound incompetent or pessimistic but just cautious as there are very few cheap mistakes you can make with these things.

aoakley321
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by aoakley321 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 am

It does bog down in both forward and reverse. I haven't seen any color change in the exhaust but it exits over the top of the cab so I might not notice. The engine has a very slight loping sound at idle. I went to change the fuel filter yesterday but I had the wrong filter so I will get the right one today and try it.

What are the steps to bleed the system? I don't have the 2 filter set up someone has put an inline filter about 5 inches from the shut off valve under the seat. There is also a filter in the return line coming off the injection pump. It was full of fuel when I took it off.

Any other places to check?

Thanks for the input

aoakley321
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by aoakley321 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 am

Also yesterday after I pulled the fuel filters and re installed them the engine would start and idle but when I increased the throttle it would rev up a few hundred rpm but wouldn't go any higher. Even If I move it to full throttle it would just rev up a little over idle.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:18 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:35 pm

sounds like the ring to me had the same thing a few times and i would get rid of the filter in the return line your just looking for problems there and as for an inline filer instead of the fastory one unless it is quite big i would get a better filteron my 2010 i used a filter bracket off of case 580c works great and i have less filters to keep on hand as i have a 480c and a 580c
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper