350B not moving properly

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
TxAg08
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B not moving properly

Post by TxAg08 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I have a 350B that does not seem to be shifting properly in the reverser and I thought that I would pick the brains of a few of you here. I read through the posts but did not find any that sounded like what is happening with my dozer.

The dozer was being used to clear brush and just stopped. It was towed out of the way then let set for a week. Now when shifting the reverser the dozer moves a little in reverse and sometimes a little in forward, not every time though. While toying with it shifting back and forth it would pick up and go like it should then putter out after 10 or so feet. This inconsistency is what has me stumped.

The reverser was drained of fluid and the filter checked and replaced along with fluid using hydraulic & transmission fluid. I pulled the FNR valves to see if there was trash in them. The unusual thing is that only 2 dropped free. I pulled the valve for forward then replaced it not realizing that the plug needed to be out to fit my wrench on the other two. I removed the spring and shims but the valve was stuck up. After some fiddling I left it in place assuming the pressure would force it back down. Also there feels like there is some wear in the valve body where the valves operate. The bore is smooth then I can feel a definite ridge, not extremely large but very noticeable by touch.

It should by noted that the steering clutches were out of adjustment. The machine would run and push, but steering was difficult and I just hadn't adjusted the steering clutches yet. The PTO also turns while trying to move the machine.

There is also a loud squeal when trying to move the machine. I cannot tell where it is coming from.

Am I on the right track thinking the problem is the reverser? Could a valve be stuck or both seals be gone on the clutch packs? Or did my steering clutches just give out? Could the coupler between the reverser and transmission have broken and is just catching a little bit to make the machine move a little?

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 am

deleted
No longer posting on JDCrawlers