350c steering clutch issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
junkfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

350c steering clutch issue

Post by junkfarmer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

ok need some help here have 79 350c that is somehow pumping hydrulic oil from hyd. reverse into final drives i know that the steering valves feed from reverse and then to clutch pack how cn this b happenin? o rings from transmissions case to bearing houseings r new. this is second time ive had final drive off tryn to fix it seals in bearing housing r new also. its leaks alot will drain rev. case in 5 min of runing. any ideas?

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Have you checked your piston seals? Also have you checked the wear rings on your piston quill?

junkfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by junkfarmer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm

yes ive checked piston seals but wear ring i havent hasnt even occured to me to check .keep thinkg its a seal somewhere thanks will check that when i get time to work on it again !!

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

350C steering clutch issue

Post by LeonardL » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Another possibility for your issue is the O-rings under the steering valve. There are 4 O-rings that seal the steering valve to the Transmission case. There is a square hole in the case positioned so you can check the Ring gear for proper lash. I have had these O-rings leak Reverser oil directly into the transmission case, steering clutch housing and final drives. Also if you have replaced the steering clutch manifold feed tube O-rings, you may have accidentally cut one or more of them in process. Hope this helps and good luck.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

junkfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by junkfarmer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 pm

ok finially had time to get back to dozer and have come up with solution so i think but have problem still. my leak is coming from piston in clutch pack didnt take it apart last time bc clutch was fine other than leak. took it apart this time and find a busted disc it was in two halves ontop one another causen pack to compress unevenly and bind up over extended piston but.... thing is that all pictures i have found from jd and out of my service manual r nothing like what mine is like. piston is aluminim but it is cast alot different it does have the outside square shaped seal and inside seal just like all books show but i have no steel rings on backside of piston what is goin on ?there is no wear anywhere like there was ever anything there. do i have some form of aftermarket clutch packs? very confused over this. any advice would b helpful thanks!

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi

Your aluminum piston should only seal against two rubber seals. One on its inner diameter and one on its outer diameter. The housing it fits into (number 10 in the parts book) which bolts to the brake drum, will have 2 metal sealing rings on its inner side(number 13 in parts book), these ride inside the ring gear carrier support quill that bolts to your transmission,which is the piece that has the 2 steel tubes attached. Hope this helps, if you need I can try to post some pics tomorrow. Out of curiosity which one of your discs is broken?

junkfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by junkfarmer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:48 pm

ok dnt know where to start here but here goes yes i know about steel rings #13 on inner side that seal againt the quill in parts book but problem is finding the seals for piston jd partsbook does not show them they show two washers behind piston #7 and #8 in book.so is the book labeled wrong is#7 and#8 really the seals? i also have two manuls one early and one later model (my dozer is pieced together and mix of years and loader and crawler)on this machine and for some reason piston does not look the same as pictures in either manul casting is differnet which confused me but i have dropped that because both seal the same was thinkin way to hard about it lol. far as which clutch disc was busted it was the 5th one from piston.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:54 pm

#7 and #8 are the seals. Yes they're called rings, I guess you could call them a "sealing ring" so to speak. I think all they changed from in an "early" to "late" design was that they changed the thickness and quantities of the plates. Early machines used a thinner steel disc, and used 8 steel and 8 fibers per side. The later ones use a thicker steel disc, and use 9 steel discs and 6 fibers per side.

junkfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by junkfarmer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm

ok thanks for the info dang dozer stays down more than any other piece of equipment on farm. lost when it comes to dozer pretty far mechinc on everything else just first dozer ever work on and first time dealing with deer equipment. thanks for all the help! need all i cn get!