350B recoil spring

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

350B recoil spring

Post by mikeintn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm just curious how many 350's out there has the big recoil spring on the slack adjuster broke :? seems like everyone I've seen has been broke, is that the nom? or not, and is it something that should be replaced right away or is it no big deal, just like to know what everyone else experience has been. Thanks
Michael

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 am

Sense no one else has jumped on this one I'll tell you what I know. To answer your questions, Yes it does happen, although not that often. And Yes !! it is a big deal!! I want to warn you!! You need to get help on this!! They are dangerous to handle and to replace. :!: :!: You not only have one spring to contend with but there are two. A smaller spring is inside the larger and they are compressed to a set dimension that sets a pre-load on these springs. This is held together by a large bolt. You have to compress them to the dimension required and then secure this with this bolt and two nuts. The first nut is to hold the dimension and the second is a lock nut. Did I say this is DANGEROUS? :!: :!: I have seen these springs come undone while being compressed! It wasn't pretty!
These springs are shock springs and without them you can't adjust your track tension. What usually happens is, the retaining bolt will break or the nuts will back off causing the springs to expand. This usually tightens your track sense it pushes directly against the track adjuster. If left this way the springs will break. I've seen them break just because they were weak or were given quite a shock. Like going over a six foot bluff in the dark while fighting a forest fire. Yes! I had my seat belt on! It's funny now but at the time it wasn't. In fact it was down right scarey!!
My point is, maybe you should take this to some one who has the equipment and the know how to do it. Or check with a salvage dealer who may have a set still together and ready to go. Here in Missouri, Zimmerman Equipment is a great place to look. They will ship all over the U.S. as well. You can Google them for their number. Be prepared as they are Amish Minanites and they aren't ones for a lot of conversation. Very blunt and to the point, but they are great people to work with. They are fair in there prices too. Good luck! And be safe with this! :D >>> Leonard
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks Leonard, I have just noticed most of them broke that I have seen [ not that I have seen that many ] I have just had the dozer completely apart and put seals or rebuilt what needed, its a 1973 350B with 1049 Hrs. the prevous owner had just replaced one and the other one is broke also, I am ready to put them back so I need to look for one, I'll give the place a call that you mentioned and see what they have, I see on ebay they have the new assembly for 400, if I change it I'll be careful with it, you make some good points, look forward to maybe getting some more info. from you :D Thanks Mike
Michael