oil pressure

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
pburke
420 crawler
420 crawler

oil pressure

Post by pburke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Have 450B machine. Have two issues that may not be related. Checked all fluid levels in machine the other day and then used for one hour before shutting down. In that time period oil pressure gradually went from 50 psi (which is low but normal) to almost nothing by the time got it parked. No knocking or anything of that sort. Found water in oil but checked radiator and would be less than quart. Hope that is head gasket. Question is, could that little amount of water make the drop in pressure or did oil pump coincedentally go out at same time. How can you determine if water problem is sleeve if no evidence of head gasket failure or crack. Machine did not overheat. Thanks for help and advice. Always good advice here. Pete

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:00 pm

My guess would be on the oil presure is that its a combination of water thinning the oil, the oil thinning as the engine heats up and engine wear [ to much bearing clearance] all put together adds up to low oil presure :( Good luck
Michael

crawler123
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by crawler123 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 am

Hello Pete. I am not sure about the 4-219 bearings but I know in automotive bearings that ethylene glycol is a disaster. If left in there it will destroy the bearings.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 pm

I agree with these guys about what you have going on. Any coolant in your oil is too much. You do not want to run this any more than you just have to. If it is a cracked head or a head gasket, you should be getting excess pressure in your radiator. It will be bubbling in your radiator as it is running. If it is a sleeve seal or internal crack you will be getting coolant into your oil but normal pressure in the radiator.
I have seen electrolysis be so bad around the sleeve seal grooves that the sleeves had holes eaten through the cylinder wall. This could also be in to the block as well. Not Good!
It sounds like you need to completely tear this thing down and go from there. You could drop the oil pan and look for signs of your leaking by looking up all around the bottom of the sleeves. I hope for your sake that it is just a head gasket. Good luck!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.