1983 450C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
surferpete
40C crawler
40C crawler

1983 450C

Post by surferpete » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:49 am

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE PYROMETER PLACEMENT GOES ON THIS MODEL. I'M REPLACING THE GAUGES ON MY CRAWLER, AND THE NEW GAUGE ATTACHES TO A FITTING THAT APPARENTLY SCREWS INTO THE TRANSMISSION CASING SOMEWHERE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? THANKS IN ADVANCE.... PETE

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Years ago I installed a M&W pyrometer and turbo kit on an Allis 301 cubic inch engine This was a long time ago but we installed the sensor in a plug in the exhaust manifold roughly half way between the exhaust valves and the turbo housing for the best position the tip was to be in the center of the exhaust housing its self .That was one heck of a long time ago so times have changed but M&W's pyrometer fit quite a few manufacturers .What kind of pyrometer are you installing and what series of motor are you putting it on .I think the big thing is if you got aluminum pistons keep it well under 1400 degrees so they don't melt .There is a lot more science to it than that but that is a bit of wisdom in a nut shell .As they say .Digitup.

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:02 am

Another common example for pyrometer placement is the Cummins 6BT diesels used in various Dodge pick-ups for the last 20 years or so. Since they use a split exhaust manafold, the common reccomendation is to put it in the exhaust manafold coming from the back three cylinders as they tend to run a little hotter than the front cylinders. You have to drill and tap the manafold for the right size pipe thread as used on the pyrometer. Be very careful not to get any debris in the turbocharger while doing the work.
Bryce
:)
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

surferpete
40C crawler
40C crawler

RE: Pyrometer for my transmission oil...

Post by surferpete » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:26 am

Thanks for the replies my friends. The pyrometer I'm trying to install is for the transmission fluid. Apparently from the local JD dealership...it's supposed to screw into a threaded "plug" on the side of the transmission box (where ever that is..) he really couldn't help me more than that over the phone. If anyone could post a pic of the placement for this pyrometer it would be much appreciated. Special thanks to Diggitup for his quick reply.
I got involved w/ doing this project because a few of my instrument gauges were broken/ not working from over the years use...I've been slowly replacing the wires and gauges one at a time (my pyrometer gauge was $187 from JD dealership)...using the correct gauge wires and shrink wrapping the ends, etc. Please help in any way ....so I can finish this up before the cold weather comes. Peace...Pete

Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:42 am

AHH! The transmission temperature gauge. The sending unit screws into the cover of the transmission fluid filter screen. The cover is a triangular plate that bolts onto the lower right side of the transmission. The plate is about 6 inches on each side and has a boss cast into it in the center. That boss is drilled to accept a tapered pipe thread; 1/4 I think. The hole for the sender does not come straight out to the side, but is angled up and back. You can see the top of the sender from above the transmission.

When I replaced the gauge and sender on my 455D a few years ago, John Deere no longer carried the original gauge and sold me (at a very high price) a VDO replacement, including sender. The original John Deere sender was not calibrated for the VDO gauge so I had to install the VDO sender included with the new gauge.

Good luck.
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia