Draining and reusing hydraulic fluid

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
captdill
420 crawler
420 crawler

Draining and reusing hydraulic fluid

Post by captdill » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:58 pm

My recent hydraulic problems required me to drain and refill my hydraulic fluid several times. Conditions leading up to my problems (referenced in another post) left me with several uncontaminated 5 gallon pails to drain my fluid into, so I could re-use it. I never removed any plug in the bottom of the reservoir. Instead, I pumped clean fluid back into the pails using the system pump. The first time I had the return filter removed and was looking right at the return pipe. I happened to have a 1 inch hose and I put one end over this pipe and pointed the other end into the pail. I started the engine and filled the pail while emptying the reservoir. You might try just cranking it first to make sure it doesn’t flow too fast.

The second time I had to empty it, I had the end of the pressure hose disconnected, so I pointed it into the pail with similar results, but this time I only cranked the engine, without starting it. Flow was so fast just cranking it that I didn’t dare start it.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:26 am

Wow! Interesting!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am

Do you know what would happen if I tried that!?!? I would have oil all over every thing.... Including me and everyone around me! :lol:
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.