oil drain plug

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Builder Bob
40C crawler
40C crawler

oil drain plug

Post by Builder Bob » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 am

Where is the oil drain plug on my 350 dozer? The parts book shows it on the side of the oil pan, which I can't get to. I see a hole in the belly pan and there is a plug that I can see through that hole. It appears that plug requires a special wrench. I am confused. Any help out there? :?
Builder Bob

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 pm

If you are talking about the engine oil Ken is correct. The plug you discribed sounds like the reverser pug. look just in front of that one about a foot and a half(just a geuss on the distance) Its a good sized plug.

Builder Bob
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Builder Bob » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 am

I don't have a reverser, and the plug is recessed. A 1/2" ratchet slides in there, but slips because it's pretty well chewed up. I am thinking about taking down the skid plate to give me more room and visibility. How hard is it to take that front skid plate out?
Builder Bob

dozingdozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

mirror comes in handy

Post by dozingdozer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 am

BB a mirror comes in handy to clearly see the drain plug and what kind of tool you ned to get it out. I have a 350c and was suprised after a few skinned knuckles in sub freezing tmeps that previous owner had swithced plugs. Might try that before pulling skid plate.DD
76 JD 350 CE dozer-85 Vermeer 434 trencher w/bhoe

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:27 am

Forgive me for being a little skeptical but I just want to make sure you have the right plug.
The bottom of the nose of the machine is sloped back and down to the front of the skid plate. There should be a hole directly in the front center of the front skid plate. Directly underneath the engine. There should be a 1 1/8 inch hex head plug that is in the bottom of the oil pan. If your plug is different from this, then it will be a new one on me. I'm not saying it isn't possible.
To answer your question about removing the front plate. They can be difficult to remove as most if not all are sprung out of the original shape. Getting them down isn't so hard as getting them back up and into position is. You sure want to have a good jack under it to help in lowering it down. Not so much from the weight as it is because of them being bent and distorted to the point that they are usually spring loaded. When you take that last bolt out they will come down with some force. So be careful should you decide to proceed. There are four bolts at the front end of the plate and three along each side that screw into the bottoms of the side frames. There are four bolts that fasten the rear of the front plate to the back plate. Some are removable and some you can't remove without lowering the entire plate. All should take a 15/16ths socket to remove. Some machines have pivot brackets for the nose on either side that need to be removed as well. They are held on by two 1/2 inch bolts each that take a 3/4 inch socket to remove.
Personally, I would try anything and everything to remove the plug without removing the skid plate. If you do indeed have a 1/2 drive style plug, make sure the square hole is cleaned out all the way to the bottom. Sometimes dirt can be packed in really tight and not let your drive have enough depth to grip well. Good luck and keep us posted.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Builder Bob
40C crawler
40C crawler

oil drain plug

Post by Builder Bob » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am

When I get that sucker out I'm going to take a picture and post it. Using a 1/2" breaker bar is out of the question because what was once a square hole is now almost round from previous owners' abuse. You have talked me out of dropping the skid plate, however. Seems lik too much hassle.
Builder Bob

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:29 pm

It is possible to remove the oil using one of those hand operated suction pumps; relatively inexpenive found at most auto supply stores. May take some time but not as long as dropping the belly pans. Also, may not get all the old oil out, but can get most, enough for a good oil change. Flexable tube down the dipstick hole works.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

Builder Bob
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Builder Bob » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Great idea. I actually have one of those. If I run the engine and heat up the oil it should be easy. Thanks.
Builder Bob

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: oil drain plug

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Builder Bob wrote:When I get that sucker out I'm going to take a picture and post it. Using a 1/2" breaker bar is out of the question because what was once a square hole is now almost round from previous owners' abuse. You have talked me out of dropping the skid plate, however. Seems lik too much hassle.
This is a pretty good thread about options to get the plug out, if you want:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=plug
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment