timing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

timing

Post by mikeintn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:39 pm

I took my 350B out for the first time after rebuilt [still dont have blade on it], everything seems ok except for the engine, seems to have no power just like the timing is slow, starts good no smoke, just dont have any power, pulls the engine down just turning the dozer, rpm slow to recover, theres no brake sticking, you can tell the engine just dont have any power, I do have manuel and went back and check it and it looks right, looks to be simple buuut somethings wrong and wonding if I'm doing it wrong, I put the pin in the flywheel and lined the two marks up on the pump[ I forget the names of the wheels, cam something and maybe timing hub] anyway where the site glass goes, is that all they are to it or am I leaving something out, and I guess I should tell you its a Rossa Master JDB :? I did try to do a search but didnt find the answer, I know one of you can tell me where I went wrong :D Mike
Michael

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Did you tie back the throttle when you removed the pump? if not, then you might have disturbed the governor weights- look at the very last post by Jdemaris on the first page in the following thread:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... jdb+timing

This thread is also helpful:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... or+weights

I'm not saying this was your issue, but it sounds like it fits the symptoms.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Tigerhaze I did read it good point, I proberly didnt give enough information I did have the pump apart to clean and reseal so I dont think thats the problem, but not saying its not because I dont know :? , just what I've seen before on other things it acts just like one with slow timing or fuel filter about stopped up, but thats not it I have had everything apart and cleaned tank, lines, pump, new injectors and filters. I;m thinking it either timing slow or I done something wrong on pump and its not getting enough fuel. Just wanting to make sure timing is right before I go any further. Thanks
Michael

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Jdemaris has also mentioned that sometimes the advance on the injection pumps can get "lazy"- in that case he mentioned to me that you can manually advance to compensate and make it run better. That post is at the bottom of the linked thread- however still don't know if that is your issue.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=lazy
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jdemaris

Re: timing

Post by jdemaris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:20 pm

mikeintn wrote:I took my 350B out for the first time after rebuilt [still dont have blade on it], everything seems ok except for the engine, seems to have no power just like the timing is slow,
I doubt ignition timing is your problem. Valve timing maybe. When the ignition timing isn't advancing properly, the engine does not run "smooth." It will skip, smoke, and break up when you throttle it cold and even sometimes hot when not under load.

Regardless, it is easy to check if you can borrow a timing window somewhere. Round window for a C pump and rectangle window for a D pump. Can also be done with a gas-engine timing light IF you've got a diesel adapter.

From what you describe - it sounds like you've got low fuel delivery or . . . valve rocker arms way out of adjustment and way too loose.

I had to fix a 350 recently that the owner put a new head gasket on (himself). He never re-adjusted the rocker arms. The new gasket was thicker then the old one and therefore the rocker-arms were very loose. The thing ran smooth but was absolutely gutless. A quick valve -lash adjustment fixed that. Loose rockers throws the valve timing way out of wack. Open to late and close too early.

I'd check for a free flow of fuel to the injection pump. Then check that fuel is leaving the pump unobstructed (check the regulator valve on top). Then check your rocker arm adjustment. Then - check fuel delivery. Best quick check is just lug the crawler down under high load and see if it makes any black smoke. If no smoke to be seen - you are under fueled.