JD450D Steering help needed.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Dieselfixer
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD450D Steering help needed.

Post by Dieselfixer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi All
Great site you have here. I am working on a 450D dozer for a local farmer and put new steering clutches in it. The problem now is when I pull the lever for a left turn the engine bogs down but it does not do that with the right turn. This is with the machine in neutral and not moving. I checked the pressure at the spools it the plug in the cover and it has 200psi, when the right lever is pulled it drops to 0 but when the left lever is pulled it stays at 200.
Can anyone here tell me what the pressure readings should be and the proper method of adjusting the brakes and steering?
I have been enjoying the reading here on the JD's that I haven't seen in years. Now I am dealing with 700J & 750J dozers at work and some of that computer stuff can drive ya crazy. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give here.

AL

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:43 pm

I think your pressure is okay... Did you check the spool on the left turn to see if it is okay? Not broken? I had one of these do this same thing and the spool was broken in the middle. It appeared to be alright on the outside but it wouldn't move out and line up where it should. This caused the engine to bog down because the pressure couldn't release. You might also look for a restriction in a line somewhere. That's all I know... Sorry I can't help further.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 am

It has been a hell of along time since I even worked in a 450D but I did replace a steering unit with a bad spool valve.They break at a bottle neck on the spool and the linkage leverage will let you do this with ease.Check the left spool valve and see if it has snapped off at the other end.Digitup.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am

That's where the one broke that I worked on. Right in the middle of that bottle neck.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Dieselfixer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thanks

Post by Dieselfixer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks to all that replied to this post. I found that the problem was when my friend cleaned the cover the spools fell out and he put them in on the wrong sides. The machines with lever steering use the same spool on both sides but the ones with pedal steering has a left and right spool that is different from each other. Dozer is steering fine now and the farmer is happy. :D

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 am

On more reason to avoid buying a paddle steer dozer.they just aren't the best machine for fine grading around foundations and such .Digitup.