350 metalic vs fiber steering clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gsont
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 metalic vs fiber steering clutches

Post by gsont » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:30 am

I have to do the steering clutches in a 350b this spring. Any pros or cons to using the metalic vs the fiber plates? Would the fiber have a tendency to absorb moisture more? Any insight would be greatly appericated. Thanks for your time and effort. gsont

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:28 am

Wow! This has been an issue with me for years. There are pros and cons to each of the two choices. I have had issues with each. However I don't think you will find one to be superior over the other.
I have had slipping issues with the metallic discs when they get wet and rusting and sticking issues with the fiber discs. They both seemed to wear about the same and they both seemed to function about the same.
So for me it comes down to the lesser of the two evils... Personally I think I prefer the fiber discs. I had less slipping issues with the fibers than I did with the metallics.
I'm sure there will be disagreement with me and they will probably be right in their opinions. I'm just giving you my personal preference.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jdemaris

Re: 350 metalic vs fiber steering clutches

Post by jdemaris » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:16 am

gsont wrote:I have to do the steering clutches in a 350b this spring. Any pros or cons to using the metalic vs the fiber plates? Would the fiber have a tendency to absorb moisture more? Any insight would be greatly appericated. Thanks for your time and effort. gsont
When I worked for Deere dealers we only used the fiber discs so can't really comment specific to Deere. Allis Chalmers however changed over to all metallic with the HD4 and 650 series and with those - I know - they do not get stuck near as easy as the H3s and HD3s did with fibers. Allis Chalmers also used self-draining/venting steering-clutch housing plugs.

The vast majority of Deere crawlers I've worked on with dry steering problems was due to water and oil intrusion, not wear. Metalic disks can help but if stuff gets in, pressure plate fingers will still get stuck and brake bands will still get oil soaked.

It's a toss-up I guess. I prefer the metallic when affordable. The only down-side I've noticed is the tooth thickness where the inside of the disks contact the splined hub. They are thinner and wear dents into the hub easier.

Keep your housings dry and vented - and steering levers tied back with a rope when in storage and you'll do fine either way.