JD450 Fuel pump drive shaft removal !!!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 Fuel pump drive shaft removal !!!

Post by Mariner » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Guys,

I finally got around to doing something with the leaking fuel pump on my 450 - fuel has been leaking past the shaft seals in the pump body, where the regulating shaft sticks out.

The drive shaft has about 0.040 worn off the drive tang and I bought a new shaft to install to replace it. The old shaft is proving to be a real pain trying to break the clamping effect on the tapered section. I am reluctant to work too hard from the front side as the gear train cover is made from aluminium and easily broken :x :x :x .

Short of removing the radiator to gain better access to drive the shaft out of the timing gear, what do you guys do to get the old shafts to release ?????

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:07 am

There is a gear puller for that job and the last 4219-4239 motor I pulled that shaft on was in my old 490 excavator it has some forward room but all access is from above .Not like a dozer that has side room and little front area to work with .It wasn't easy but we did this quickly with the 1/2 inch ratchet and I forget what sized nut that was ?A slight tap from a hammer after the nut was turned 3/4 of a turn [just to jar the timing gear lose] them put the puller to it and it should fall apart. [I know it sounds too easy !!]good luck .Digitup.

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Well, I went ahead and removed the nose cone and moved the radiator to gain clear access to the drive shaft. Too much risk (radiators aren't cheap )trying to "fix it" with everything in place. The hardest part was removing the nose as it is so heavy.
Once the end of the shaft was exposed a good hard wack with a 4 lb hammer on a long steel drift, soon loosened up the shaft.
The new shaft fit with no problems, so now to reinstall the fuel pump :D :D .

The fuel pump is old and well worn - signs of rust pitting on some of the internals - water in the fuel and the machine left un-used for extended periods is my guess. The fuel transfer pump was well worn, so that got replaced with the spares that I purchased. Didn't bother with getting too far into the fuelpump just yet, so I left the governor etc. alone. No signs of any rubber breaking down. Replaced the seals that I had easy access to. Won't know until the machine gets used, how much difference the new pump vanes will make. It worked before and I am sure it will work again - just hope what I did do will make an improvement.

I need to leave the machine alone as I keep on finding things to fix :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I realize you're probably done but here is a good thread on the nose removal:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=6678
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T