Is it possible for the Neutral Start Switch to be broken...?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
surferpete
40C crawler
40C crawler

Is it possible for the Neutral Start Switch to be broken...?

Post by surferpete » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Season's Greetings.....As a few know I have been rewiring my 1983 450C crawler/loader over the past few weeks. I have come to a block after attempting to rewire the Neutral Start Switch ( I have the tech. manual and service manual for the crawler and have been following the electric schematic to the tee!!!!)....I rewired the NSS going from the starter motor: "S" screw on the starter motor body (#21) on the schematic ....toward the NSS...then the NSS (#22) going to the Engine Wiring Harness......after rewiring.....it Will Not Start !!! I hope Digitup finds this post....he may be able to help. Hope all is welll for everyone's New Year....Peace... Pete

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Check for power to the switch .Then check to see if there is power through the switch there should be power on both sides of the switch terminals when the crawler is in neutral position properly .Those switches don't last for ever It could be in the switch or the neutral leaver maybe isn't hitting the switch properly also check for power at the small wire on the starter solenoid as the wire to that from the switch may be bad also. .Digitup.

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 pm

For electrical issues such as this, you really owe it to yourself to get a 12 volt test light that looks similar to this:

These tools are handy and fast for tracking down the go/no go type of electrical issues. You just clip a wire to ground and then while holding the start button in, just work your way back from the starter to the battery and it will diagnose your problem in much less time that it took you to read this.