oil leak on 350 straight

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

oil leak on 350 straight

Post by scremineagle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 am

finally got crawler in woods to log and after a few days of logging now have oil leak in tranny seems to be coming from possibly a housing right above cross member 2 ? does it break apart there with a seal maybe leaking with machine running its just a drip once you shut off runs about half quart out instantly also could i run cheaper fluid to continue use dumping 3 gallons a day p s never had so much fun amazing little machine

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 pm

A leak that bad needs to be fixed! It is probably a seal. Where are you pouring oil in at? The reverser or the transmission? The reverser oil goes in by your right foot by your big toe and the transmission goes in behind your left heel. While sitting in the seat of course! Are you sure it's coming out of a housing and not running down from somewhere external? Give us a little more information about what you have and where you are adding oil. :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm

its a 1968 350 straight gas and am adding oil by right foot big toe but to my knowledge it is only place to add besides hydralic tank got it up on blocks today tomorrow will pull pans off to get better look

Bruce
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Bruce » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Leonardl is right that's the reverser. This does not look like a easy seal replacement. The guys on this site will definitely help you figure it out. Carefully taking the skid pan off it will have some spring from being bent up and as usually they are. They are heavy too so have a jack under it. Good luck

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm

not totally understanding was told that tranny and reverser and finals all filled in same spot

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Here is a little info to help, Your reverser is a separate component of the drive line. It has its own oil and pump to engage the clutch packs associated with it. Its fill point is the one by your right foot at your big toe.
Your transmission has its own oil and it will fill through a fill point directly behind your left heel almost under the seat support. Sense you have a straight 350 you have dry steering clutches and obviously you don't want oil in those compartments. Your final drives will have their own oil individually and they fill through fill holes at the back of the finals right above where the bolt holes are for what ever you want bolted on to them. Usually they are Brackets for a Backhoe and or for a ROPS canopy.
I suspect your leak, if it is coming from the bell housing at the front of the reverser, will be the reverser pump seal. It may be the o-ring behind the pump or maybe both. If it is leaking as much as you say it is, I would bet on the front seal or input shaft seal on the reverser pump. Unfortunately the engine has to come out to replace this seal.
But!! Take a good look and let us know what you find when you take the belly pan off. And Like whats been said already, be careful when removing this pan as they can come down with some force!! Good luck!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

I would like to add that if you don't already have a good service manual then I highly suggest you get one. Or at least a good owners manual. They will show you all the service points and what fluids to use. E-bay is a good source for these as well as Deere them selves. Just make sure its for your Straight 350.

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Also, before you buy a manual; be sure you in fact have a straight 350. You may already be sure; but sometimes a misunderstanding about this comes up.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 am

plate where i'm told holds serial number is gone what would be best way to identify what i have and thanks for info

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 am

Sorry about that!! I did it again didn't I!!! :oops: I should have asked; Are you sure you have a straight 350?.......... Old habits and all that!!.... :D
Straight 350s and 350Bs will have dry type steering clutches! That's the best way to get at least close to what you have.
Look under your seat to the left and right sides of that compartment. If you have dry clutches there will be two square plates about six inches square. They are held onto the top of the clutch housings by four 3/8" bolts each.
If you have a 350C or 350D they will have wet or oil bath steering clutches. As you look in this same compartment, you will see a flat surface on the left and right side, with a round plug that's about 1 1/2" in diameter, mounted in the center of this flat surface.
You will also see a steering valve in the center of this compartment bolted to the top rear of the transmission housing. It will be about seven or eight inches square with your steering levers attached to two plungers via a linkage rod for each steering lever.
Another indicator would be the reverser shifter. Most straight 350s have your reverser shifter mounted on the left side of the dash panel. 350Bs, 350Cs and 350Ds will be a lever at your left hand mounted to the right side of the left arm rest.
This should at least get you close to what you have. :D
Some of these other fine fellows will have other ways to help you sort this out I'm sure, but I hope this gets you close to what you need to know. Have a great day!!! :D