Trailer

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Trailer

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 am

I'm looking for a trailer to move my little 450c around. I was looking for a triple axle with the bed between the tires and I've had trouble finding a decent deal on one.

Now I've found this : http://shoals.craigslist.org/grd/2885197223.html

would the be the best GN trailer for moving a track loader bar none with the tilt deck?

Does anyone have a better suggestion?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 am

That is a nice looking trailer and would sell in a weekend around here at that price, but, I owned a tilt bed trailer for many years and switched to a similar trailer with ramps and would never go back. Whenever I loaded more than one thing on the trailer at one time like extra attachments, or a small Bobcat and a tractor, or even a fuel tank on the same load, tilt bed is a pain in the a**! And Slippery when wet. If you only plan to load one machine on there then it will be fine, but otherwise make a set of ramps for it if you can, (on mine the frame would have needed some work for ramps), or you will soon understand the downside of the tilt deck.
Scottyb
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Those are very interesting points to think about.

Like I said I'd really like to find a between the tire trailer so I don't end up getting an over the tire decked GN to try and load on. That is how I tried to pick the little loader up and kept sliding back down the ramps and all but filled my pants each attempt.

I just would like something low to the ground so it's so much safer to move.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey,
Is this the dealer out East of Springfield? Rogersville on US 60? If it is,then have you been out there to see what else he has? I know he has a ton of trailers on the lot if this is the same dealer.
The trailer looks great! However I have to agree with the earlier comment about hauling more than the one machine. The only option there would be to get a power tilt but that will add to the cost. Looks good though!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Leonard, I think that trailer is in Alabama based on the phone's area code and the Craigslist listing.

I have a 4 ton tilt bed trailer for my skid steer and it is a pain for loading when there is one than one item to load and can be a little scary when it is slippery. I do understand your comment about wanting to be low to the ground.

Why not look for a lowboy triaxle GN without the tilt bed and use ramps? That would solve both issues.

By the way, it seems a little odd to me that a used trailer that the dealer owned personally would only have a bill of sale rather than a title. Maybe under the rules for dealers in Alabma he could use it with the manufacturer's statement of origin but I'd hate to see that become an issue for you with MO DOR. You would need to have the highway patrol inspect the VIN first to get it titled here in MO.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 pm

After looking further into the ad I see where I simply didn't look close enough at the ad. So... Sorry about that!!!! :oops: Anyway... I saw Rogersville and once again I "Assumed" it was in MO. Silly me!!! And... Once again my "Assuming" has bitten me on the Arse!!!! In my defense, if there needs to be one is this; First of all I was in a hurry and I know that shouldn't be an excuse. Secondly, there is a huge trailer dealer in Rogersville MO. Trailers like the one in the ad.
Anyway... I hope you find the trailer you need and you don't have any issues with getting it titled. I know Missouri can be real persnickety when it comes to titling from other states. So... Good Luck!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jdlou
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdlou » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi 77 Ford, What kind of truck would you be using to pull this trailer? Would it have enough stopping power? Also, if your combination gross vehicle weight is over 26,000 lbs. You may fall into Department of Transportation rules. Which is a totally different animal, than just a normal drivers license. I too, live in Missouri, and I have heard horror stories of Mr. D.O.T. officer pulling you over and giving you a nice fine. Just my 2 cents. Just be careful hauling that 450C. Lou :)
:)jdlou(:

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 pm

We all love our good officers in the DOT here in MO................... :roll:

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 am

My plan is to pull it with my F350 dually. Assuming I get brakes on the axles of the trailer I should be ok. I never plan on pulling this much , I'm guessing 2 or 3 times year to help friends or family out and never more than 15 or 20 miles.

My thoughts on the title were either to get it under a home made tag or just not title it and risk moving it early weekend mornings and hoping for the best. I know so many people who just never license trailers it's laughable.

Even though I never plan on moving more than one piece of equipment at a time I think I'll pass on this one. Keep looking for a non tilt between the tire deck tri axle trailer. It is so far away I hate to make that kind of trip and it not be as advertised. These tri axle low boy trailers seem quite rare in general.

I guess i need to man up and try loading it on my over the tire decked GN and see if my style of ramps make it load any easier than the one I borrowed when I bought the ole girl. Even if I feel good about loading it, I'd still have to add an axle to my trailer, it's just a 14k rated tandem axle currently but I don't think that would be a huge deal.

Thanks for the advice.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 am

77 Ford wrote: Even though I never plan on moving more than one piece of equipment at a time I think I'll pass on this one. Keep looking for a non tilt between the tire deck tri axle trailer. It is so far away I hate to make that kind of trip and it not be as advertised. These tri axle low boy trailers seem quite rare in general.
What part of Missouri are you in? I have been looking at trailers for a while so may be able to give you some ideas on who would have the type of trailer you are looking for.

I know that you can find these types of trailer nationally, but not at the price you found the one in Alabama. Here is a new one on Epay- pricey but they are out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-38-DRIVE-OV ... 48449e57e8
77 Ford wrote: I guess i need to man up and try loading it on my over the tire decked GN and see if my style of ramps make it load any easier than the one I borrowed when I bought the ole girl. Even if I feel good about loading it, I'd still have to add an axle to my trailer, it's just a 14k rated tandem axle currently but I don't think that would be a huge deal.
Another option would be to build an earthen ramp level with the trailer deck and then back the trailer up to the ramp when loading. That way you are driving the crawler onto the trailer level. That won't help a lot when you go to unload but you could have the same thing done at the other end. That is what I am going to do when I get a trailer that can pull my 2010.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 am

I'm down in the SouthWest corner of MO.

I've seen shorter versions of that trailer you linked new for around 5500 bucks. Still alot to spend to move my little girl a few times year.

I've thought about the earth ramp and that's a good idea it at least will get you loaded safely. You could then unload and dig a berm before you load to leave. I could then take my little tractor back and smooth things out.

How do you think it would work if I bought a tandem dual GN dump trailer. I've seen those rated at 21k gross, you think I could raise the trailer get up in it and have someone let it down as I drove inside?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 pm

77 Ford wrote:I'm down in the SouthWest corner of MO.
There is a dealer between Springfield and Branson on Hwy 65 (I want to say between Ozark and Highlandville) that has a pretty good trailer selection. I will look for their weblink. There is also one east of Springfield on Hwy 60 near Rogersville; probably the one that Leonard L was referring to.
77 Ford wrote: I've seen shorter versions of that trailer you linked new for around 5500 bucks. Still alot to spend to move my little girl a few times year.
If you are going to use the trailer that infrequently, I personally would find a local transporter. Even with higher diesel costs, for a short distance like 10 to 20 miles you are probably only looking at $100 or so. I have used haulers several times recently for crawlers and front end loader and the going rate is between $2 to $3 per loaded mile for longer distances and $4 to $5 per loaded mile for shorter distances.

Then you don't have to deal with the headaches of licensing, titling, MO Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, etc.
77 Ford wrote:How do you think it would work if I bought a tandem dual GN dump trailer. I've seen those rated at 21k gross, you think I could raise the trailer get up in it and have someone let it down as I drove inside?
I had a buddy (who is a Union Operator and has a CDL) suggest that to me. My concern is that the beds on those trailers are over axle, so would have to tilt pretty steep to get close enough to the ground to drive up on it.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 pm

If you are going to use the trailer that infrequently, I personally would find a local transporter. Even with higher diesel costs, for a short distance like 10 to 20 miles you are probably only looking at $100 or so
I would echo Tigerhaze's thoughts.
If you become friendly with a local contractor, and are willing to work with them and their schedule, they will often work a deal - drop off the trailer on their way to one job, then load and hook up later, moving your machine on their way to another job, and see it as quick cash and only a minor inconvenience.

For $5500 + insurance+ maintenance + ..., that's a lot of moves that can be done with fewer headaches.

Oh, and by the way, a trailer that sits usually has brake repair needs when you want it most and trailers only depreciate
Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Playing Devil's Advocate here, after the reading I've done, it's pretty much impossible to move a 450-series crawler (legally) without a CDL. Every state has a limit of 26,000lbs before you need a commercial license. If a 450-series crawler weighs 15,000lbs plus, that would mean the weight of your truck and trailer combined would have to be under 11,000 lbs. If you get a 1-ton truck (7000lbs empty) and a triple axle trailer or dual tandem trailer (6000-7000lbs empty), you're already over the magic 26,000lb figure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I would love to find a solution for it, but it seems like the only way I can legally move my 450 myself would be to either pull it around on a trailer using my tractor and a SMV sign, or get a commercial driver's licence, medical card, and annual DOT inspections (thousands of dollars per year).

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 am

tjdub wrote: Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I would love to find a solution for it, but it seems like the only way I can legally move my 450 myself would be to either pull it around on a trailer using my tractor and a SMV sign, or get a commercial driver's licence, medical card, and annual DOT inspections (thousands of dollars per year).
Hi TJ-

Your math is generally correct- however at least in MO the weights are triggered by weight ratings as well as actual, so the GVWR of a one-ton truck is generally at least 9,000 lbs and usually a dual tandem or triple axle is 21,000 pounds GTWR so combined is usually over 30,000. Technically to stay under a CDL trigger with a one-ton truck you would need to stick to a dual axle gooseneck of 14,000 to 16,000 which as you stated would not haul a 450 legally.

If you have to go interstate or if your state incorporates the FMCSR in their entirety then you are in the spot you describe. However Missouri is a little relaxed in two areas, so us Missourians like 77Ford has a little more leeway than maybe others do in other states.

If you are operating intrastate in MO and transporting property you can go up to 26,000 lbs without meeting the requirements of the FMCSR. However this doesn't address the CDL issue abopve 26,000 lbs.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000400.HTM

Also I know that in MO if you tag the vehicle as a farm truck that you can go up to 42,000 as well without a CDL and wihout meeting the FMCSR. However by doing so you are indicating that you are operating a commercial business (farm operation). "F" plates in MO can go statewide under this exemption as long as engaged in farming business.

http://www.modot.mo.gov/MOAgCarrier/jsp ... ooklet.htm

The farm exemption is also in the FMCSR and is available nationwide but you have to read in conjunction with your state regulations.

Now having said this, he would still have to stop at MO weigh stations if licensed above 18,000 and it doesn't exempt from getting stopped and questioned by the commercial vehicle enforcement division of the MO Highway Patrol :lol: