A couple of questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Afzimm
420 crawler
420 crawler

A couple of questions

Post by Afzimm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 pm

1) I have a 1964 2010 diesel. What is the little lever for under my left foot as
I sit in the operators seat?

2) my generator light stays on all the time. The generator makes a loud buzzing noise and after the machine is warmed up the generator is too hot to touch, like 200+ degrees.

Thanks in advance for your answers or experiences. Al Z

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:59 am

Afzimm wrote: 1) I have a 1964 2010 diesel. What is the little lever for under my left foot as
I sit in the operators seat?
That is the HLR disconnect lever- it is used to disconnect the engine from the HLR during starting in cold weather and allow the engine to turn over faster. There is a little slot in the floorboard to hold it up while starting. I use it every time I start because it is easier on my diesel which is pretty worn. However you don't want to leave the lever pulled for any significant amount of time, and if you have a crawler loader with rear mounted Cessna pump it will disconnect that pump so you will not have loader hydraulics until you lower the lever again.
Afzimm wrote: 2) my generator light stays on all the time. The generator makes a loud buzzing noise and after the machine is warmed up the generator is too hot to touch, like 200+ degrees.
I don't have a generator so can't say for sure, but it may be that it is coated with grime and causing to overheat or voltage regulator may be shot and causing it to heat up. I also know that you may need to repolarize it after it has been connected to get it to charge correctly. Others may have some better ideas.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gsont
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gsont » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 pm

I have a ford 801 tractor that sometimes turns the generator into a motor. I usually hit the voltage regulator and that seems to fix the problem. My cure is to put a alternator on it and get away from the generator and the 6 volt battery. Talked to some people and nobody had any experience like mine. Strange to have the generator spining with a loose fan belt when the engines is off. gsont

Afzimm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Afzimm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I had the 2010 running today again, this loud noise I am hearing is up front and part of the noise is the hood vibrating. I am suspecting that my water pump may be the culprit. Anybody ever had a water pump go? Do they get real noisy? This is a typical "old machine" every time I want to use it I have to fix on it first. Thanks for the replies to my questions. Al