Need some help with my 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jsutin_prendergast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Need some help with my 350

Post by jsutin_prendergast » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 pm

I purchased a 350 dozer, and it's my first dozer. I am having a problem and am hoping to get some guidance on what I should do. First of all I checked the serial number and it is a 1970 straight 350. I haven't used it , becuase it has coolant in the oil. I was hoping to change the oil, and use it that way. I only want to use it to do some work on my own property. I also changed the fuel filters. When i started it it didn't idle very well, but i cracked the bleeders on the filters and that seemed to help, and it started to idle very well. Then I took it out and was pushing a little dirt around, and after about ten minutes it began loosing power, I shut it off, I was able to get it back to the garage once it cooled down. Tonight I started it and it put off white smoke, and was idling very rough. It was making a clanking noise that I believe was coming from the injector pump. Now I am wondering where i should go from here, what things I should check, and what could be wrong. Thanks for any help.

waredaman
40C crawler
40C crawler

Coolant in oil. White smoke

Post by waredaman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Sounds like you may have a bad head gasket. Not a bad job, you can do it in the tractor from what I have read. Make sure you align the timing marks on the injection pump window and bring the engine to TDC before you remove the injection pump. I would strongly recommend the shop manual. It has helped me a bunch.
No such thing as a free bulldozer

jsutin_prendergast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsutin_prendergast » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks, I have the manual and have been reading through it.

jdlou
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdlou » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Just my two cents. I have a JD 420 two cylinder tractor that had gotten coolant in the oil. A friend told me to rebuild the bottom of the motor, but I put a new head gasket on, and was going to sell the old girl at the next consignment auction. Decide to take one last ride, and I locked the motor up. Seized the rods on the crankshaft. about two thousand dollars later, I still have the old girl. I would drop the oil pan and look at the bearings. That was on a gas burning engine. Maybe you would be lucky with a diesel engine. Good Luck, Lou
:)jdlou(:

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 am

Hi!

Maybe none of my business but here it is anyway :

find the culprit of collant in the oil otherwise this motor is on the death row !
and then the $$$$ will be needed to refurbish .

those dozers are very good don't let them go rotten please !!!

my 02 cents !!
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

jsutin_prendergast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsutin_prendergast » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 pm

What would be the best way to check to see if I have a bad head gasket, is this done by doing a compression tester. If so can an automotive type of compression tester be used. Also I see posts about white smoke being related to fuel delivery, is this something I should check.

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 am

Hi !

My guesses are !

1- run the motor with the rad cap off and look for bubble forming
in the rad , ( put safety glasses or even better faceshild) . if bubbling appear it is a sign that there is leak .
2- check compression
3- use a infrared digital thermometer and take temp reading at many different spot aroung the head and if there is a leak you might detect it because the temp. would be lower.

good luck .

thermometer : https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/image ... u1pxcDYifA
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

jsutin_prendergast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsutin_prendergast » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Where is a good place to buy parts for these dozers?

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

jsutin_prendergast wrote:Where is a good place to buy parts for these dozers?
The best place to start is http://jdparts.deere.com. If you sign up for an account with your local JD dealer you will see prices and availability.

Once you know the JD part number for the part you want to buy, search around for the part number since EVERYWHERE else you can buy the part will be cheaper than from the Deere dealer. If you can't find it, pay the bucks and get it from Deere.

IF you go into an ag dealer, they will not be able to help you look up parts because only construction dealers are allowed to do that. However, if you have a part number OR make a web order for the part through jdparts.deere.com, they'll happily serve you.

Also note that Lavoy (the man who runs this site) sells parts
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/parts_main.php

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:57 am

jsutin_prendergast wrote:Where is a good place to buy parts for these dozers?
As far as I'm concern I would always check with our host here !! Lavoy !
if he has not what you are looking for then look anywhere else but by respect to him of having this FREE and so much plenty full tank of knowledge and good people to help , buy here first ( my personal opnion) .
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper