White Exaust Smoke

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
waredaman
40C crawler
40C crawler

White Exaust Smoke

Post by waredaman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:07 pm

My 350 engine is a diesel. Its a 1961 and it really smokes white. It doesn't appear to have oil in the coolant or vice versa. The injection pump is new and timed correctly. If the return line to the tank were plugged, would this cause a lot of white exaust? I was thinking of replacing the return line? Is there a way to check compression other than pulling an injector (is this hard)? Anyone have any other ideas while I have this in the shop. Otherwise I guess I run it and hope the rings seat or it fixes itself (as machiney so often doesn't). She sat in the woods for seven years, I guess I would smoke too.
No such thing as a free bulldozer

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 pm

I can't answer to the cause of the white smoke however I have removed the injectors from both my 350's in recent weeks and did not have much trouble getting them out.
I removed all the return line connections first, then the injector lines, and then at the base of each injector their is a groove on the exhaust side and I have a bent screwdriver that pries them out nicely. (Bent about 1 inch from the tip) on all of them I first carefully twisted them back and forth by prying gently on the injector fuel lines after spraying some wd40 to loosen them up. they all came out much easier once I had them moving back and forth and I did not bend any of the lines.
Removing them is the only way to check compression.
I used my air compressor to make sure the return line was clear, applying air past the third injector. fuel tank lid open!
I had seen a old post here some time ago about white smoke and black smoke but I could not find it just now. I will look again.
Way to go getting this crawler going, Look forward to a photo or two,
That crawler was\is very lucky that you found it.
Scottyb
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

waredaman
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by waredaman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 am

ScottyB,

Thanks for the help with the injector removal, we will give it a shot. They could be really bad. I will post some pics soon. I'm not much of a photographer and most of the pics I have taken were too close. As far as the who is luckier, me or the bulldozer, I think the bulldozer now hopefully me down the road....
No such thing as a free bulldozer

Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 am

I haven't had much luck getting those pencil injectors out whole. The last set were apparently the original injectors on a 25 year old 455D. An OTC puller that worked on a prior set spread its legs apart on #2 after pulling the collar off #3.

I finally removed the head and pounded the injectors out from the combustion chamber. Used a 5/16 steel rod with an axial hole in the end to slip over the tips of the injectors. Took several pretty good licks with a four pound hammer. Distorted the rod end each time and had to reshape it. Destroyed all but the easiest injector to remove.

Turned out to be no great extra effort since I had a slight water leak past the head gasket into a cylinder and planned to replace the head gasket one day anyway.
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia