350B Reverser Leak

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

350B Reverser Leak

Post by D.Light » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I am losing fluid from my 350B reverser reservoir to the ground I have not been under it yet to look for the source of the problem. Any suggestions on typical locations for an external reverser leak?

Thanks!
D.Light
1974 JD 350B Crawler Loader

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 am

There are a couple of places to look at

First, check the cooler lines. They run from the control valve on the left side of the reverser, up to the radiator. Also check the control valve itself, it has several plugs on its bottom that could leak. Check the filter gasket too. If those are all dry, check the weepholes at the front of the reverser, and at the back where it bolts to the transmission. They indicate if you have a shaft seal leaking.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Crawled under the 350B today and I notice the rear weep hole where the transmission bolts up is dripping. Also the loader will not engage in forward or reverse now. :cry:

Over the weekend, the right track came off and it was a bear to get back on due to the track adjuster being stuck...

It seems this project gets bigger every day... Reminds me of a lifelong Jeep Project!

So, after getting the track back on, the reverser has a leak (as it did before the track problem), but now the loader will not move. I topped off the reverser fluid and slightly overfilled it... Still no movement.

Please tell me there is something short of pulling the engine and reverser that can possibly fix this problem. I have not changed the filter nor have I completely drained reverser and refilled with new oil. :?:

The reverser started to shift slowly before the last problem and normally refilling the reverser oil reservoir resolved the problem. Now the loader doesn't even move at all when placed in forward or reverse using the reverser shifter. Not even a slight movement...

I have read the section on the control valves in the manual, but it does not seem too fun...
D.Light

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 am

Your manual should also run through the pressure check procedures too. Perform these and see what you have. The reverser only holds about 9 quarts of oil, I'm not sure how bad your leak is, but it sounds like the pump was loosing prime if just filling it back up "fixed" it. Just an FYI, loosing prime is not very good for the pump (or anything else in the reverser)/

stu
MC crawler
MC crawler

reverser

Post by stu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 am

Suggest you drain reverser, remove filter & catch all oil(look at quality of old oil) then use a magnet inside to look for any metal at bottom of case!
If reverser bearings have come apart you will make it much more expensive if you ruin SHAFT., & you can make it worse if you try to run when it doesn't want to go.

I have just now almost finished my reverser rebuild project. At point of starting engine first time to check for leaks. 350D

(with much appreciated advice & some assistance from forum member LeonardL) honorable mention to KenP... Thanks both!!

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:07 pm

To start with... It sounds like you and your Jeep have had issues? :lol: Coming from a former owner of more Jeeps than I care to mention, there is one answer for a Jeep. You work on them for a week and then drive them for maybe an hour! :D Enough said!! These were older Jeeps that I had. Back in the early 70s.

Just to reiterate what has already been said... All good advice too I might ad! It sounds like you have issues! Probably not good issues either. No leak is a good leak. And there is no such thing as a "Fix It In A Can"! You are just going to have to bite the bullet and pull this thing and fix the problem. Much like your Jeep!
I would suspect bearing issues as the biggest contributor here. If you have a seal leaking then it is almost a given on these reversers that a bearing has given it up and ruined the seal or seals. Usually it is the front seal at the pump but I have seen the rear seal go as well.
The fact that your machine now refuses to engage tells me you may have clutch pack discs that are worn as well. You can't keep running out of oil without having ramifications. Your pump may be worn badly as well. Your pressures will tell you this.
Start with the simple as in checking the pressures and the filter and for sure look for what is in the oil and at the bottom of the case. All of these things have been suggested and I agree with them.

I wish you good luck with this! Keep us posted on what you find...
:D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 pm

I hope to check the pressures tomorrow.

As for the Jeep. the current project is a 1982 CJ7 http://webpages.charter.net/3dlights/Pics/jeep.jpg

Older Project Jeep http://webpages.charter.net/3dlights/Pics/oldjeep.jpg

I don't think I will tackle rebuilding the reverser on my own. The manual says to separate the loader behind the engine to access the reverser. This just sounds like more than I can handle in the field... Unless I can find something on the outside, I'll drag it out of the field to a shop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in East TN? I have found a shop I am considering using Ace Equipment Repair and Welding Shop. The head guy and owner, Wade seems very knowledgeable.

What would you guys expect to pay for a turn key job to rebuild the reverser?

Thanks for your advice!!
D.Light

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Nice Jeep! That's just down right purty!! What year is the second one?

Your reverser is going to cost you 3K to 6K depending on what they find wrong. Here in MO it's a minimum of 1500 bucks just to pull the thing. That's at a independent shop. Deere will ask double that and then skin you on the repairs.
The reverser is simple to work on it self but getting to the thing and then replacing it is the labor.
Several have done their own here on this forum. I just helped a gentleman here in MO with his and he has saved a ton on labor. I got to do the easy part of overhauling the reverser. He did all of the labor of pulling it and replacing it. Plus all the clean up involved.
If you have any mechanical ability at all you can do this. If you have patients enough to work on Jeeps and keep a sane mind, then you can do this as well.
I would try and get it to your shop and go from there.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Clutch oil regulator pressure test indicates no measurable pressure.

Could this be a stuck bypass valve? :?: :?:

I removed the bypass valve's plug and spring but the valve and ball did not drop out of the hole. How is the best way to get the Bypass valve itself out of the bore? :?:

I also removed the restricting orifice (after checking its as found number of turns off of seat - 2 1/2 turns off seat) and verified the opening was not clogged by carefully inserting a small pick into the opening.

Also, is there a possibility that my reverser filter element is very old and dirty, preventing the pump from picking up the oil and thereby preventing it from priming? :?:

Leonard, the old jeep was a 1970 something. It did not last too long. I straightened it up a bit - sprayed it it all black out of the rustoleum can, put some used tires on it and got it running. It sold quickly for a nice profit.
D.Light

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm

I have good news!!

The reverser is working perfectly!!!

I decided to drain the fluid and replace the filter element. Refilled the Reverser and it worked like a charm. Apparently the old filter was preventing the pump from priming/pumping.

I ran the Loader for about an hour this evening and everything seemed to be working great -- Life is Good!! :D

On another note, I also checked the bypass valve again. I picked up a pocket magnet tool from the local O'Reilley Auto Parts and it worked great for pulling the bypass valve out of the bore. The valve was very clean with no signs of sticking.

Thanks for all of the help you guys have provided!! :D
D.Light

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm glad you have your machine working again. But I have to ask... What about your leak though dude? You know, sooner or later you are going to have to fix that leak.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm hoping the leak was due to overfilling or it will not leak too much.

This loader will be a farm machine, not an every day construction machine.

Time will tell.
D.Light

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Make sure you check the reverser oil often!!! Keep a close eye on it, as Stu pointed out, you don't want to ruin a shaft!

Just an FYI

The filter is also supposed to have it's own bypass, but, depending how screwed up the filter is, or how much suction the pump has left, or if it was stuck closed, it obviously didn't matter.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D.Light » Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Reverser is still losing some fluid. I have replaced the rear seal while rebuilding the transmission. :(
D.Light

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Well that stinks!

Anyways, assuming the leak is in the same spot, there are two rear bearing quills in the reverser case, these use o-rings that seal them to the case. There is one quill for the output shaft, and one for the rear of the countershaft. If your bearing and seal are in good shape, I'd bet one of these (or both) is the cause of your leak.