Just acquired a JD450 crawler/loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Just acquired a JD450 crawler/loader

Post by Mariner » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi all,

I have just found this site and have spent quite a bit of time going through the postings - good stuff, just what I was looking for.

I recently bought some land and also a couple of machines to use on it. One MF65 tractor and a JD450 crawler loader. The 450 serial# is 0709551 and the machine type is T5E3M. I have a blade, bucket and winch with this machine. All works, but there are some repairs that need to be made - previous owner didn't do much at all.

The 450 ran great through the winter and I was able to plough the snow with no problems. Just recently I am starting to have problems with the right track steering. I worked on it today and seemed to have made some improvement with adjustments. I tried it out in the shop (I have it sitting on old 2x10 boards under the tracks) and can make it turn either way using the levers. I have yet to take it outside and try it properly.

Are there any pitfalls I should be looking out for with this machine? I have the updated gate for the HL-R controls, with the slot for the N position. I have installed a block heater which helps a lot. Did the usual oil changes and antifreeze coolant change. Does this engine (4 cylinder diesel) need any coolant additive to prevent cavitation? Any tricks to adjusting the steering clutches and when would I know that they need replacement.

Sorry if these questions seem basic, but I am new to these machines and am slowly learning as I go along. Please bear with me.

Lastly, where can I obtain a maintenance/repair manual and parts book.

Thanks for your patience.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Welcome aboard!

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:38 am

Mariner,
Welcome to the site. If you read through some of the post dealing with 450's you'll probably find some of the info you're looking for. You might want to contact "txdeere" on a possible service manual copy. Click on the posting "450c", if you hit the "pm" button at the bottom of txdeere's post you can ask him about the manuals he has. As mentioned in other posts, a lot of the guys here have older, smaller 2-cyl tractors but there seems to be a growing number of 350/450's joining in. Although the specifics of the smaller machines will differ significantly from bigger machines such as yours, you'll sometimes be able to translate some of the mechanical 'tricks of the trade' to whatever situation you're dealing with. If you've read many of the posts on this site one thing becomes apparent, some of these guys have worked on many different forms of machines and are a wealth of general mechanical knowledge. Don't be too disappointed if responses to your post(s) are slow in coming. As more of the 350/450 crowd grows, I'm sure the info flow will also.

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

srs_mn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srs_mn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:31 am

It is VERY important to use coolant conditioners in ANY wet sleeve engine...
I am always amazed that the owners manuals do not stress that more!
Here is a site with an excellent discussion on the topic.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineer/00_1.html

I installed Coolant Conditioner filters, just like in the drawing, on ALL my equipment even when brand new... I don't know why the factory couldn't do the same thing.
srs in MN

Deerefred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Deerefred » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:38 pm

HI Mariner,
As a co 450 owner welcome,...I am new to this site as well.....relatively,and although I have run Green equipment ALL my life only recently purchased this 450 crawler.....its great we can all learn together thru sites like this thanks to LAVOY and other with experience on here.....enjoy your tractor like I do.

FRED
JD 450-6 WAY BLADE and RIPPERS
JD "A" -46
JD "40-S" -55
LANZ BULLDOG MODEL-H 2418