450 b/c

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 b/c

Post by clarence » Tue May 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Gentlemen, your combined wisdom about Deere crawlers is truely amazing and humbling. I so thank you for your never ending advice and assistance.

I have a JD Track Loader that was manufactured during the transition years between the "B" and "C" models. I was told that it had wet clutches yet it is a non turbo. I understand wet clutches and a turbo were the two improvements of a "C" over a "B".

Does anyone know how to identify if my clutches are wet or dry--without substantially disassembling the rig? If it's a wet unit, I obviously need to make sure it has proper fluid levels.

Any suggestions you all might have will be deeply appreciated. Thanks, Clarence

jdemaris

Re: 450 b/c

Post by jdemaris » Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 pm

clarence wrote:

I have a JD Track Loader that was manufactured during the transition years between the "B" and "C" models. I was told that it had wet clutches yet it is a non turbo. I understand wet clutches and a turbo were the two improvements of a "C" over a "B".
We sold quite a few 450Bs with turbos. It certainly was not a "C" only thing.

To tell if it has dry or wet steering clutches? Just look under the seat. If the steering levers hook to two small spools inside of hydraulic valve bank- it's a wet-clutch machine. If they hook to two hydraulic cylinders (not valves) it's a dry-clutch machine with power steering.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 pm

My understanding was all C models were wet clutches. Yes the turbo was still an option in early serial numbers. Mine for example is a early serial number and has no turbo with the wet clutches.

The fluid for the clutches is shared with the transmission which you check under the seat. You unscrewed the filler stick, wipe it off and then let it set on top of the threads to check.

If you decide to change the fluid , while they do all share the same fluid there are 3 drain locations ( each clutch side and the transmission) and 3 fill locations ( the filler stick and each side above the track has a pipe plug you remove to fill the clutches ).

When checking fluids, don't forget the finial drives, they are not connected and have their own reservoirs and must be checked independently.

If you've not already done so you should check your serial number against the FAQ section to pinpoint the year of your machine.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by clarence » Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks Guys, once again your collective knowledge is so helpful and I so appreciate it. I'll be removing the floorboard this weekend. Btw, my rig is one of those rigs made in Europe (gray market) so the serial numbers are different than those for U.S. rigs which has made getting parts somewhat challenging plus it has rare feet steering. With the diagrams that jdemaris attached, I'm sure I'll be able to discern between the two--that is between foot or hand steering as it relates to wet or dry clutches. Thanks again guys, Clarence