fan belt help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jacobs3273
40C crawler
40C crawler

fan belt help

Post by Jacobs3273 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

Hey guys I have a 35bb and I lost a fan belt the other day I am going to pick one up today but the question I have is on the crankshaft of the motor it looks to be a disconnect for the hydraulic pump but I can't locate a lever or anything to acuate it and I need to get the belt on the crank what can I do I was thinking that I may have to pry the disconnect forward with a couple of bars worse case scenario. Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am

There is a handle on the front right hand side of the engine to operate the disconnect. yours might have come off. When I bought my 350bb the handle was in the battery box. About 8 inches long this handle turns the shaft that operates the disconnect. My disconnect mechanism
was seized and required lots of help to get it all worked loose. I finally removed the pump and rad to get at the parts and now it works easily.

The pry bars will likely work if the shaft that the handle turns is not seized. I would spray lots of anti seize on all the parts a few times before you pry to hard.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: fan belt help

Post by tjdub » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 am

Don't go overboard with the pry bar, You'll be sorry if you bust one of those cast iron pieces.

The disconnect on my 450 is free and even works to disconnect the pump, but I can't get a fan belt around it because that cast piece with the cogs that mates up to the one on the crank won't move forward on the shaft any further than it has to to disconnect the pump. I tried soaking it with penetrating oil repeatedly for weeks and prying and prying, but it wouldn't budge.

The only fix would have been to take the pump off and try to pull the disconnect out to work on it. It seemed like a lot of work, so I just bought a power-twist link belt instead. Maybe I'll tackle it someday.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Here is a helpful past posts on this subject:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... t=belt+fan
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Jacobs3273
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jacobs3273 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the help guys i have a belt from deere the tractor is sitting at the job site so I may also grab a linked belt as well to be sure i can get it going tonight thanks for everything!!!

Jacobs3273
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jacobs3273 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Well must have been holding my tongue just right because i got the deere belt on there. I took the grill out and loosened the hydraulic pump then went to the crankshaft and started prying nice and easy till I got enough room to slide the belt between the pulley and the pump shaft. Thanks again!!