How do you secure your loader for transport

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

How do you secure your loader for transport

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 am

By looking up the legal way to lock down my loader for transport I need 4 chains and 4 boomers 5/16" to work. While keeping legal is nice, I'm more interested in what works the best, I've found the two are usually not the same.

On the front I could tie a chain to each loader arm OR both chains to the large eyelet on the belly. However in the back there is not much but the large draw pin. It seems a little silly to me to have both chains hooked to one point, obviously if that point fails I loose two connections.

I know sometimes people hook to the tracks and X the chains to the opposite side. Is that the preferred method and if so do you just hook to a random spot on the track or do you hook high or low or something in the middle.

Thank you for the advice.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I have never had to transport mine any distance that required it to be chained down securely. If I did, I suspect I would go up and around the ROP verticals, but then again if I were truly concerned I would use more than 4 chains. Otherwise, I am happy with running both back chains to the drawbar pin.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm

I like using 4 chains. I have been hauling a lot lately and where I was hooking up depended somewhat on the crawler. If I hauled one with a rear bracket for backhoe etc. I have tried using that from the back with good success.

I do not like to attach onto the loader or dozer as I have had
chains come loose if the bucket is not perfectly flat on the trailer deck...and...
on one move I broke some deck boards binding down as the pressure was greatest on the back bottom edge of the bucket and it broke boards when tightened. :cry:

I have been chaining only to the tracks lately front and back. I hook over the top of the track as far forward or at the back as possible with my chains wrapping back back under the track and attaching on the outside of the pad. The chain is as close to the sprockets or front rollers as possible on the underside and this is also the fastest and easiest way I have found so far. I have never has a chain loosen up this way and the weight of the crawler stays even on the trailer over the tracks.

SAFETY NOTE... make sure your chains are the hardened ones made for the job! The less expensive ones WILL FAIL if you have a mishap on the road. I also use a 3 foot piece of pipe over the handles to close (and open) binders so I know they are tight. Rebar wire is a good idea to hold the binders closed if something goes wrong.
I have bought two of the new style screw ratchet type binders and I like them. It does seem like every time I use them though they need a spray of oil.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Chaining down

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 pm

If its a loader machine, I attach a chain to each side of the the loader frame.

If its a Dozer, I attach to the tracks.

On the back, if it has a draw bar or rips mounts I use then and if not then to the tracks.

I dislike attaching chains to the tracks but it does work. We do rural natural gas services and install 100+ services during the non winter months and haul in a track plow and Dozer hoe cat to each job. Plus bringing in a tow cat, trencher or skidder as required. We spend more time trucking a lot of the time vs running the equipment. That's a lot of chaining down.

We use to only use 1 long chain on the front and on the back but a few years ago transport Canada changed the rules and now we need a chain on each corner of a tracked machine plus 1 over the backhoe bucket or plow attachment in addition to tying the boomers if not using the ratchet kind.

Whatever you do make sure your load is secure, you wouldn't want to kill somebody if your load came loose.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 am

Thank's for all the tips, I'm suppose to get my GN back next week (they are adding a 3rd axel) and then I'll be set.

I only plan on short trips to help friends and family out. Hopefully won't have to move it more than a few times a year.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

kedorland
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by kedorland » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 pm

With me being green I was kinds suprised there may be state regs on how to bind down a piece of equipment. Have never heard a word of it in Iowa. Maybe I should ask?...:)

Kevin from Iowa.
1975 450C. 1977 450CA loader, with winch and log arch. Is true..tracked equipment is addicting.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:32 am

I have found that you need to know local State or Provincial regulations Then you will be fine and hauling across both great Country's I have found there is always a truck inspector that wants load binding changed .Do It ! and if he is out to lunch change back further down the road .Always tell them " That would be a good idea " even if you can see the down side of the move .I have had several steer me in the wrong direction and I don't argue with them .With a smaller crawler the authority's aren't too strict but when you get to the bigger stuff don't be hooking a link hook to the inside of a grouser and consider that fastening down you could have ten of them on it is still an in secure load in some states and most provinces they want to loop around a main frame or looped around a sprocket and track then doubbled back with link hook into it's chain [the theory is the chain is taking the load not just the grouser or other single part on the machine] Proving once again there is theory to some madness .But remember That was a good idea and I appreciate the information !but with smaller stuff they will over look a lot .Digitup.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 am

kedorland wrote:With me being green I was kinds suprised there may be state regs on how to bind down a piece of equipment. Have never heard a word of it in Iowa. Maybe I should ask?...:)

Kevin from Iowa.
I believe in MO that they incorporate by reference the Federal requirements provided by the FMCSA- many states take this approach however there are some states that provide additional requirements on binding.

Here is the FMCSA cargo securement requirements:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulati ... policy.htm

Many truck stops sell a nice color booklet showing photos of acceptable binding approaches by the FMCSA:

http://www.jjkeller.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 0551_63087

It is interesting to note that heavy equipment less than 10,000 lbs can be secured similar to autos and light trucks; above that there are additional requirements specific to heavier equipment.

The FMCSA and implementing regulations provides the minimum requirements for interstate transport, so usually that should suffice for most inspectors.

However like Digitup says, each DOT enforcement inspector is "king" so not worth getting in an argument about it or he/she may start seeing violations all over the place.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am

I agree with Tigerhaze. In Missouri you don't want to test the "Zeal" level of our fine people who work for the Department of Public Safety. Add with those fine folks the Federal version known to one and all as the "DOT", that's the Department of Transportation and you will find enough "Ego" to supply most of the world!
If you are pulled over and checked here in MO, they will go strictly by the book. That book being the one Tigerhaze refereed you to. You may get ticketed or you may be allowed to re-hook and move on.
If you are involved in an accident then you can expect double scrutiny on how you have bound down your load and what you have used to bind it.
Here in MO they will definitely frown on hooking to a track pad. They see that as being a "Loose" connection. They will expect you to be hooked to something solid. They will inspect every component of your chains, hooks and binders. Then they go by the weakest point in what they find.
I recommend you get a book and go by that book. There is also some information you can get from the Public Safety folks and from DOT. Your insurance company may also have some information to go by.
I always figured it was best to have more than is required. That way no one can point a finger at what you have done.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.