Acceptable smoke..........

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Acceptable smoke..........

Post by Frankdozer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 am

My 1984 John Deere 455D Turbo Track Loader runs like new. It has around 7400 hours on it. I put the key in the ignition and just touch the start button and it starts right up. When it starts up it lets out a decent size puff of white smoke, then no more smoke thru idle. If I go from idle quickly to around 2100 RPM it lets out another puff of white smoke. Under load it white smokes enough to notice. No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. It's not using engine oil and has plenty of power. The dozer sat for a number of years before I purchased it about a month ago. Everything operates as it should. Should I ingore it, worry about it or is it a sign of old age. Doesn't effect operation, just a little smelly. Thanks, frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

If it's old fuel, it is a possible cause. Also, A cold diesel engine will smoke white at the beginning until it warms up enough then it clears.
440IC 1958 #443712, 602 blade, Gearmatic winch project in the back
440IC, serial tag gone, Blade with tilt
-------------------------------------------------------

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm

When transporting that tractor, for the sake of your turbo. Please tape up your exhaust pipe when trailering!

You should let your tractor warm at least 10 minutes before working it. In winter this may increase to a half hour if you live in snow country. If you are operating in dead of winter you might consider some form of panels on the side of the engine. Also maybe a adjustable blanket on the radiator so the engine can stay warmer.

Altho white is sometimes water. So how is the coolant level? As long as you are not losing fluids its not a serious concern. The "puffing" could have come from whom delivered it if they did not tape the exhaust.

The reason for taping the exhaust? Your turbo will turn up when being towed with an exposed exhaust pipe. Since the engine is not running it will eventually cook the bearings on the turbo. My New Holland I cooked the bearings on the turbo by not covering the exhaust. It now consumes one quart every 50 hours of use. Bad me :(
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Engine condition

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:34 am

Well, I would just keep running it. Deere engines will somewhat heal themselves by working them hard. Put on a taller exhaust!!!

My dad rebuilds many Deere engines mostly with used parts (liners, pistons, etc) from other parts engines and it often takes a while for them to break in the rings. They often smoke for a while but after 50 hours they run very well.

Changing your fuel filters is a good idea plus some of the fuel additives that lubricate the fuel injection pump cant hurt.

I can't say enough about the engines that Deere made in the 70's and 80's. Very reliable and good power until your engine is completely worn out. We are currently working 4 crawler hoes and 2 skidders fairly regularly. They don't get warmed up, not much for servicing over the summer construction season and get run fairly hard.

We've run the 540A a full day on 5 cylinders without any issues after the fact. It missed, but cleared and ripped a full mile of right of way and winched our plow cat thru the wet spots.

We bought a 440 Deere that the owner said the engine was out of it . It turned over so we fired it up. Had a horrible knock in it so we pulled the head. One piston had split apart and some of it in the oil pan. We popped a used liner and piston in it and she was ready to go.

Again, can't say enough about these Deere diesels. The seem to last very well even when subjected to incredible punishment. The only thing that seems to hurt them is sitting to long and without the exhaust covered up.

The new 4.5 L and the like are another story and in my books a step backwards in quality, reliability and longevity.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm

OK...........My mistake, It's not white smoke...........It's light, light blueish-white smoke.............Thanks, Frank

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Fuel, it will go away with time, let it warm up more before moving.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Run the old Deere run the fuel out then put some new fuel in and run it again just put some hours on the old Deere she will clean up and love it Also I have never caped an exhaust on a Deere motor for a short run [under300 miles] and I actually took two Dozers to B.C. from Ontario and back with out capping them no problem .The problem did exist years ago with some turbo's that would empty there oil sump when they spooled or turned backwards from back pressure while rolling down the road not running .Older engines Allis,Cat and the old Detroit turbo's would sump oil out there lube oil sump then burn out the main shaft seals then the bearings [very quickly] when turning backwards A lot of other turbo diesel engines had that problem as well but newer stuff even has a deeper sump and a hole in muffler to disperse the rain water that gets in the exhaust outlet hole I don't like to leave the old Deere's sitting out in the weather either without a soup or tomato juice can on the exhaust it is just too hard on them .Digitup.

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:23 am

I do remember when my boss bought a new Cat 277B skid steer they told him to tape the exhaust when hauling. We did it the first few times and then would forget. I would think if you pointed the exhaust tip into the oncoming wind then it would possibly pose a problem.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:39 am

The dozer had a full tank of 31 gallons old diesel. I talked to the Power Service Representative and he said to drain out 1/2 the tank, add double dose of silver bottle and double dose of their tank cleaner and fill up with new diesel. I did that and I'm going to run it tomorrow. Thanks, Frank