450C Engine Clutch - Pedal Sticking

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Exodus450
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C Engine Clutch - Pedal Sticking

Post by Exodus450 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I have a 450C and the clutch is sticking. I am inquiring if anyone has experienced this problem and how they may have remedied it.

The clutch worked fine before storing the tractor for the winter. When I got it out this spring, both the foot clutch and brake worked hard and would not free return. I suspect that I got water in the input shaft where it goes through the housing when cleaning it in the fall. After sitting all winter it must have corroded.

I have sprayed lubricant on the shaft/housing and worked it back and forth. I operated the tractor with the hope that warming it up would help. It still will not work freely. The pedal itself rotates freely on the input shaft, but the shaft is hard to rotate. The clutch itself engages and disengages (if you forcefully rotate the shaft to return it).

If anyone has a suggestion on working it free, or if there may be another issue that I am missing, please let me know.

Thanks.

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:12 am

I just purchased a 1984 John Deere 455d Track Loader with 4 in 1 buckett, backhoe mount but no backhoe. It sat for about 10 years I was told. The clutch pedal, when stepped on, would stick to the floor. The seller said it neede the engine to be slid forward and a new clutch spring installed. I purchased it thinking it was just rusted. I got it home and pulled the floor plates off and proceeded to flood all the linkage with WD-40 all the time while working the clutch pedal in and out with the engine off. After about 15 minutes, it freed up and now operates as new. I'll use it a while and then lube it again, but this time with engine oil. Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am

My Case 350 was the same way. Seems to be a common headache. Some one in engineering probably felt the floor boards would keep the shafts dry. Only that time proved them wrong.

Might be an idea to carefully drill to the shaft (nearest when the outside linkage connects) and install a oiler hole with lid (dont forget a small picece of cotton in bottom of hole before installing the lid).

the above from McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-oil-cups/=i5cfdq
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

The oiler is a great idea but you would need about 50 of them to oil everything beneath the floorboards. I'd rather just oil them all while doing my normal maintenance schedule. I think that the lack of oilers is just planned obsolescence by the factory.
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket