Very Interesting - Thanks KenP.
D.Light
1974 JD 350B Crawler Loader

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Special tools required?

Post by D.Light » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 pm

OK - I have the 350B out of the woods now. I am contemplating tackling the transmission removal and repair myself as opposed to taking it to a shop and spending $$$$ on the labor.

I realize this job requires a lot of hard manual labor, but I am curious if I will need any special pullers, etc.

Looking at the manual, it seems pretty straight forward - remove the finals and steering clutch housings, and then the transmission....

My question -- Are there any special tools required to get the transmission out of the machine? :?:
D.Light

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Most important tools are big hammer, big torch, maybe big bottle of something distilled from grain, all else is secondary.
Good bottle of anti-seize for reassembly, take your time, read the book, ask here if you get stumped.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 am

You will need a couple of things including your firm resolve to get the job done.
You'll need some large wrenches. The 4 nuts that hold the transmission to the reverser are 1 and 1/8 inch as I recall. There is no room for a conventional socket wrench arrangement because of the shape of the reverser case, so you'll need a large box wrench for those.
I'd also recommend a good set of 3/4 inch drive sockets/extensions and a large breaker bar.
A method to lift and remove the finals is necessary. You can't simply "man handle" these. Too heavy and a sure way to hurt yourself.
You'll also need something to support the tranny and allow you to roll it out the back of the machine when you're ready.

The most important tool in this job is your head. This repair is pretty straightforward, but the parts are large and heavy. Think twice about everything you do before you do it. Keep your head in the work. When you get tired, stop before it bites you.

Let us know how it goes.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm not far from you, I'm on county home rd. spoke with you on the phone, dont know what you have but if you need a tool just call me and I'll let you use it if I have it, good luck and be careful :D Mike
Michael

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Transmission Verdict

Post by D.Light » Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I thought I would follow up on this older post.

I decided to take the ole 350B to Ace Equipment Repair & Welding. 5973 Kingsport Hwy, Johnson City, TN 37615. (423) 434-0008 for the repair. I sure am glad I took this machine to a shop for this repair. I did not have access to a shop with a lift or hoist and they are definitely needed for this extensive repair.

As it turns out, my transmission was shot. Several transmission gears and bearings were bad. Additionally, I had damaged gears in both final drives. I found a donor machine within a two day round trip and opted to get it for parts. The donor had better front idlers and some other parts I needed too - top rollers, cross member cap, etc. We replaced all of the transmission bearings, several new gears, reverser rear seal, clutch packs, final drive bearings and seals, etc. Stripped the parts I needed and scrapped the rest and nearly recovered the entire cost of the donor machine less travel expenses. My wife said she enjoyed the adventure, so I guess it was worth the drive. :D

Wade Woodfin and the guys at Ace Equipment Repair & Welding were great to work with and helped me get the machine back in to operation.

Thanks for all of the help from the forum.

If you are local to East Tennessee and need Equipment repair or welding, I would highly recommend Ace Equipment Repair & Welding.
D.Light