JD450 H-L-R transmission filters

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 H-L-R transmission filters

Post by Mariner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:15 am

HI guys,

A simple question for those that have done this chore. The transmission appears to be working just fine.

I want to clean the HLR transmission filter and check condition. The book shows the cover on the lower right hand side of the tranny casing, but doesn't say if the transmission needs to be drained to check/clean.
I really don't want to drain and change the fluid unless it is really necessary. The fluid on the dipstick is very clean - though I don't expect it to show the real condition of the oil.

So, is it really necessary to drain all the oil to check the filter - I sure don't want any surprises.

Thanks in advance.

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 am

Yes... Unfortunately you will have to drain the oil to change or clean the filter. :)
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Rustyslater
40C crawler
40C crawler

transmissions

Post by Rustyslater » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:18 pm

While we are on this topic what is the correct oil for a stright 450 H L R transmission.
Old mechanics never die they just fade away!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: transmissions

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Rustyslater wrote:While we are on this topic what is the correct oil for a stright 450 H L R transmission.

Deere nowadays would recommend Hy-Gard, but I believe the original spec was JD 303.

I believe JD 303 is no longer sold (now have the Hy-Gard), but there are a number of universal tractor fluids that meet JD 303 specs. A fluid meeting JD 303 specs will work in a HLR, but several people on here in the past have recommended the Hy-Gard in HLRs because they seem to shift smoother. However they have stated that other systems such as the loader hydraulics can use a JD 303 spec fluid without adverse issues.

Although Hy-Gard is pricey, the people on this board that have recommended it use the machines commercially so I trust their judgment and have spent the extra $$ for the Hy Gard for the HLR. I see it as the cost to fix a HLR far outweighs a little extra money for fluid.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Rustyslater
40C crawler
40C crawler

thanks

Post by Rustyslater » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 pm

thanks for the reply tiger haze. I just got done changing the steering cluches and one finel drive. had to go back off shore will have to wait a week to to finish up
Old mechanics never die they just fade away!