Help on reinstalling a clutch on a 350c

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
fireman odie
MC crawler
MC crawler

Help on reinstalling a clutch on a 350c

Post by fireman odie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:25 pm

The City has a 350c they have fixed the clutch on once and fired up the crawler and were moving dirt when the clutch springs broke off. They have put on new springs and were wondering when they put the engine and clutch back to transmission if the springs need to be winded up when they put the engine and clutch back in. They really are scared it will break the springs again they want to do it right because the springs are expensive the city mechanic and his helper are doing the work. Nobody in our area knows anything about this old crawler. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Fireman Odie

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm guessing you are talking about the isolator, it does have springs, but no you dont winded them up, dont know why you would break new ones, unless something out of place and they getting jam against the inside of the reverser housing, not much clearance in there :?
Michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 am

One guess would be that something else is damaged or broken. On my straight 350 that had that style isolator, there was a limit to how far it could rotate. IF those tabs are broken off, it could be really winding up the springs.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 am

I would suggest that you do a search in the archives for "isolator"- issues with the torsional isolators are a common issue with the 350s to the point that Deere changed the setup late in the series. We have a lot of threads that discuss them- that way you can understand the setup better.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:05 pm

I agree with Tigerhaze! There is a ton of info on here about the Isolators. The next thing would be to use a good "Tech Manual". If you follow the manual you cant go wrong. I also agree with the first posts here... You have to make sure everything is good and as it should be. There is only about a quarter inch of clearance, maybe not that much. If the fly wheel anchor guards aren't square with the side of the fly wheel they will hang and possibly break on installing the engine.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.