450D T handle linkage kit

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Consider used parts

Post by DBCSteve » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 am

I also got sticker shock when my JD dealer quoted $1100. My linkage was so sloppy that the previous owner of my 450C had used a cutting torch to open up the opening to allow the T-bar to have more travel.

I ended up getting used linkage for $500 and it was a great improvement. Since I only use my dozer 100 hours a year, it was the right solution for me.
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:26 am

No more like 750 bucks twenty five years ago I tried many fixes but found the wear is in the pin holding area with the roll or spring pins either worked great but if you bore the hole out you just have a mess and anything else is a mickey mouse fix to say the least .I have wasted a lot of time trying to fix those dam things and the only fix is new parts .When you do it that way it takes money yes but I find if I half ass fix a machine than I tend to have a half ass machine!!and with me time is also money I know it is 1100 bucks but no John Deere never gave those linkage parts away I have payed well for them every time but never regretted buying them later .Digitup.

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

T-handle blade control

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 am

I started drilling the holes oversize and installing new "springy" roll pins bought from the hardware store. I think I went from 1/4" to 5/16". It was really hard to hold the pieces and drill the holes in line. So I finished the job by just replacing the old !/4" pins with the same size new ones. (or whatever size was appropriate). I seem to recall that the bottom of the t-handle required some custom work on its bushing, and maybe some extra washers, too.

BE SURE to mark the matching ends of all pieces, and make many digital photos of the stages of disassembly, as well, unless you really like solving puzzles. I don't recall any of the pieces being symmetrical.

I have found wee tiny bottles of colored nail polish for a buck or less apiece, and they are useful for putting matching colored dots on the mating ends of all the pieces.

This fix wasn't as good as new but it took at least 75% of the slack out, which was a welcome improvement.
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

ib4hoyt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ib4hoyt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:45 am

heres what i did to mine, i took 12 gauge copper wire and and made one wrap around those pins anywhere i could, kind of like a copper washer really is all it is. took the slack out of mine, i should check that again to see how it looks now,, i aint had much slop for the last 10 years since i did this. works for me sofar,, and it sure as heck didnt cost me $1100.00