Main Clutch linkage?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
captdill
420 crawler
420 crawler

Main Clutch linkage?

Post by captdill » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 am

I think I should have posted this on the late model crawler section, sorry. Something let loose on my JD450 main clutch. Is there anything I can fix in the linkage without removing the engine? The pedal goes to the floor with just a light spring to pull it back; it doesn’t feel like the pressure plate is being touched by the throw-out bearing. As you know, there is a hole in the clutch housing where some observation is possible. I can see the throw-out bearing moving in what seems proper at first glance.
owner of JD 450 with BH

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm

The clutch pedal controls two things. The first 3/4 of the pedal motion controls the transmission clutch (the adjustment bolt that's right at that access hole, then only the last 1/4 of the motion is for the actual engine clutch. If you're getting no feedback at all in the first part of the motion it doesn't have anything to do with the pressure plate since the engine clutch isn't being touched at all at that point.

There's one spring on the clutch pedal linkage and another one in the transmission clutch linkage. I'm guessing one of them is broken. I don't think it would be a fun job to try to replace either one through that little hole in the clutch housing. If the clutch still functions properly except for the pedal returning, you could always rig up a spring to the pedal on the outside of the housing.

captdill
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by captdill » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Well, I am not getting feedback for 100% of the clutch pedal movement. The clutch does not release, it directly drives the transmission, always. I am currently using the turning clutches, pulling back on the sticks when I start it and if I have to change directions I have to shut it off and restart it in the new gear. I will think about what you have told me to see if it can save me from pulling the engine. I have never known what that lever extending through the top of the bell housing is for, but now it is flopping around, whereas before I couldn't move it.

Thanks for your insights.
owner of JD 450 with BH

captdill
420 crawler
420 crawler

removing engine

Post by captdill » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am

Where do I attach to hoist the engine for removal?

I looked at the clutch with a boroscope and it seems that the throwout bearing is going completely past the pressure plate. As if the fingers on the plate were worn completely away! It is coming apart.

Am currently on a trip away from my repair manual. I did several searches here and elsewhere to see where to properly attach to hoist the engine, with no luck.
owner of JD 450 with BH

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm

There should be two ½ inch bolt holes in the head to attach lifting eyes. The one on the rear of the engine is on the side and the one on the front is on top. I made some lifting plates from ¼ inch plate and cut slots in them to pass a chain through. I drilled a ½ inch hole in the other end to bolt the plate to the head.

captdill
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by captdill » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Sounds like what I need. Still cannot look for another week due to travels. Are there normally bolts in those holes for some double purpose (like holding a bracket or something) or are they just empty holes? I guess that will be obvious when I look. Thanks.
owner of JD 450 with BH

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 pm

The holes were empty on my loader.