455d idles for a moment and dies

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
avnsteve
MC crawler
MC crawler

455d idles for a moment and dies

Post by avnsteve » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08 pm

hi all, new to the forum, my buddy has a 1984 455d, and developed a problem with it this weekend. I've read up a bit and found very little about this particular crawler. Is there a source for manuals that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

avnsteve
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by avnsteve » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 pm

more info, I went out and started it up, black smoke briefly, seems normal, the throttle responds from low to high as expected, for the 30 or 45 seconds that it remains running, i can lift the bucket (read slight load on the hyd pump) all seems normal. the engine slowly idles down then dies, as if one were cutting off the fuel. any ideas where to start? I noticed the fuel sump was unmolested so I know that needs to be drained, installed a new fuel filter yesterday with no change in behavior, opened the supply line to the injector pump and got lots of fuel there, shot out about 6 feet.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 pm

You need to check the return line coming out of the top of the Injector pump. Make sure your fuel is passing through all the way back to the tank. Remember, your fuel is like hydraulics. It is all flow and control of that flow. So make sure the flow is making the trip all the way from the tank and then back to the tank. Also make sure the vent is open for the tank itself. It will either have a vent tube just under the fuel cap and it goes out the bottom of the tank or the cap itself will be vented. Either way make sure there isn't a vacuum forming in the tank. The vent tube is famous for getting plugged by insects or debris of some sort. Mud daubers love to pack these tubes full and plug them up.
When your machine idles down and dies, try loosening the fuel cap and see if there is a vacuum formed in the tank. Then try running the machine and see what happens.

As for the manual costing an arm and a leg? That one is a toss up. Sometimes you can find them on E-Bay but still pretty costly. Your best bet is to get them from Deere online. You can down load them direct and you will have the exact manual for your machine. Just make sure to have the serial number correct when you order. Probably still going to cost at least an arm and a leg but it is well worth the cost. Manuals are a must have. At any cost. They will save you a lot of heart ache!!

Check this stuff out and let us know what you found. Then we can go from there. Good Luck!! And welcome aboard!!

:D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Make sure there is nothing floating around in your fuel tank that could block the supply line. I had a small bit of ice in my 350's tank a few years back that would periodically block the supply line and cause the machine to gradually die. When the engine quit the offending bit of ice would drop away from the fuel inlet in the tank and the machine would run fine for a few minutes or an hour until the situation repeated itself. Maybe something to be said for draining the fuel tank on occasion and managing fuel quality a little better.

avnsteve
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by avnsteve » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 pm

well, I will be sure to remember that interesting failure, could be a bit of bark or some other debris, but it will definitely NOT be ice, I'm in Texas! lol

wbr

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:25 am

I have the same machine. Buy the manuals from the John Deere web site and download them to your computer. They are priceless !!!!!!!!!!! Also, use all John Deere products..................that way there is no second guessing.........Also, there is a screen filter in line the supply line coming out the bottom of the tank to the pump.......Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:06 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

avnsteve
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by avnsteve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am

fuel return on top of injector pump only dribbles fuel, I'm convinced that plastic disk (governor?) has disintegrated. something about mouse turds? I haven't yet opened any other fuel lines. I'm gonna wait till I get the new seals kit before I take down the injector. Am I right to presume I need to take all the fuel lines out for cleaning from pump to injectors?

and thanks for your help so far!

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:07 pm

i have had the ring come apart on my 580 case before and took the return line fitting/check ball and punch out the glass ball and it will run for some time before you have to rebuild the pump and no you should not have to clean the injector lines
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper