IJ pump woes 350B fuel delivery issue!!!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
john907
MC crawler
MC crawler

IJ pump woes 350B fuel delivery issue!!!

Post by john907 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am

I have a 350BE dozer, last summer it developed the classic problem. It would start and run when cold but within 5min would slow and then stall. Reading posts on the site(thanks to all) I placed an order for a replacement govner and a "rebuild kit" (bunch of o rings) for my IJ pump. I have the Roosamaster book on CD read most of that. Lined the marks in the window inserted the pin in the flywheel and pulled the pump.
Defrosted and cleaned(with a small brush) the pump in some #1. Tore the pump down removeing the "mouse turds" and put it all back together. This is where my problems start. Couple things to remember.

A. I did not turn the pump shaft during the rebuild, This was to keep the pump from being 180 off after I put it back in.

B. I didnt realize the mark was etched into the very part I was to R and R.

C. No other significant wear was found and the majority of the rest of the pump was in good condition. No water, siezeing, scoring, just expected polishing nar detectable with a mike.

D. (and this might be the main problem) I followed the books instruction and disasembled the entire pump. Reading others post I realize this was a little folly on my part.

I felt rather good about the pump and no extra parts save a bunch of O rings that were not for my pump. I warm my work area put the pump back on, align my pre scored marks on the housing and timing cover. Heat the oil pan haul out a spare battery plumb the fuel supply and return. Hook the IJ lines leaving them off at the nozzles and crank till primed(4 or 5 10sec intervals). Hook the lines loose, crank and bleed any remaining air, and finally pinch them down.
Next I crank to start pop pop all three cylinders pick up nicely. Stalls. repeat and same results. Its a slow stall like it primes the houseing but the supply to the injectors starves the engine after plenty is available for initial start.
Relieve the return line at the pump same reslult. So now I have no reference mark if I want to pull the pump again.

Two possible problems I can think of.

A. I have the C and CC stams on the supply pump flipped supplying enought to start but not run.

B. I have the power (cant remember the name) deal on the bottom 180 off. One side is spring loaded the other is a fuel pressure driven plunger. No good picture in the CD to verify position.

DB2 pump on a 350BE PAT blade.

P.S. I thought there would be more (volume wise) of the turds upon tear down. The rubber slats were almost completely gone.

I appreciate any help in advance. Please note any repair I attempt where the machine is take 3-4 hours prep time(due to outside temp).

john907
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by john907 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:21 am

Hmm trying to add some pics, Thought I could cut and paste?

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:52 am

john907 wrote:Hmm trying to add some pics, Thought I could cut and paste?
As far as I know, you have to post photos with image-code, not HTML. I know image code works fine. There may be other ways.

Sitting here, I have no way of knowing what you might of done wrong. The cam ring has a direction-of-rotation arrow on it. All that needs to be done is install it with the arrow pointing the way the parts rotate inside of it. In back of the pump where the rotary vane charge pump is - is another arrow of rotation on the round steel liner. Again it needs to point the correct direction.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 am

John,
What do you mean by "relieved return line and same results"? Did you let pressure off the return line and then were able to restart and then died down again? If so doesn't that imply that the return line is blocked? As I understand it if the return is blocked it backs up pressure in the pump shutting off fuel flow.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

CELSESSER wrote:John,
What do you mean by "relieved return line and same results"? Did you let pressure off the return line and then were able to restart and then died down again? If so doesn't that imply that the return line is blocked? As I understand it if the return is blocked it backs up pressure in the pump shutting off fuel flow.

Chuck
I got confused at first because my name is John also. But I guess you had no way of knowing that.

It sounds to me like the guy tried running it with the return line unhooked (i.e. "relieved") and it still crapped out. Maybe I'm wrong. If it WAS plugged - the internal pressure of the pump gets so high - it over-rides incoming charge pressure and the pump virtually runs out of fuel. Internal pump pressure is supposed to be around 4 PSI. Charge pressure is 10-60 PSI. If the return line gets plugged -and housing pressure spikes up to charge pressure - the machine cannot run.

john907
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by john907 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89644600@N ... hotostream
Working conditions

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89644600@N ... hotostream
Pump ###'s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89644600@N ... hotostream Pump after rebuild

Yes with the line relieved fuel spewing same results. I cannot find another 350b injector pump to compare the power advance on the bottom of the unit another reason im posting pictures.

john907
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by john907 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

The charge pump ring as I recal has no arrow but does have a C on one side and a CC on the other. I will try and check the charge pump as a place to start this weekend.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:57 am

john907 wrote:The charge pump ring as I recal has no arrow but does have a C on one side and a CC on the other. I will try and check the charge pump as a place to start this weekend.
The advance parts - if in backwards - will not have any effect on how much fuel gets pump. It will just affect timing. The trimmer screw and spring go on outside of the pump so you can adjust, as needed, on a running engine. The hydraulic piston goes on the inside, against the engine block.

If you had the back of the pump apart where the vane pump and liner is - did you check the fuel pressure relief valve and adjuster? The original version has a black rubber plug in the bottom that is often blown out. It gets upgraded to a steel bushing you press in. That upgrade won't show in the old Stanadyne manual. That steel bushing comes in the seal kit from Stanadyne.

john907
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by john907 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 pm

The advance is in correctly then, The adjustable parts faceing out and the hydraulic piston towards the block. I will open the charge pump end and double check that. Not sure about the relief valve for fuel maris I did have some extra parts from the kit. If something is blown out might need more insight about what needs to be done/repaired. Any other thoughts on what might cause the cutout after a few seconds of running. I will try and post some pictures about any changes. Other than the pump the engine runs like a top, no smoke or power issues, near zero oil consumption.
Seems these machines always need repair maby I'm just cleaning the wounds of previous operators. Rebuilt the finals two years ago with HD steering clutches, new seals, bearings, and lube. I'm just trying to get this unit operational to sell it this next summer. I have a 450b that I like a little better.