JD 350 steering clutch issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jaredlitch
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350 steering clutch issue

Post by jaredlitch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello, I've browsed alot on this wonderful forum, but this is the first time posting anything. I have a ('70?) JD 350 diesel, 6-way blade, with reverser, former TN Forestry dozer.

About 3 years ago we had new steering clutches put in along with new brake bands and throw out bearings. Had the pressure plates checked at a reputable clutch shop in Nashville and they were within specs. Dozer has worked rather well since the work was completed other than the right side was never as good as the left side. Had the mechanic that did the work out several times trying to adjust the right side without much improvement.

Fast forward to a month ago. right side does not want to work at all....Clutch or brake. Keep in mind it is not used much and could sit for a month or two at a time. left side works but right side does absolutely nothing. While driving straight forward then pulling both levers back part way the dozer should stop right? THis should place both clutch packs in neutral prior to the brakes being applied right? Well now the dozer will keep driving straight. If I pull them both back a little farther the left brake will grab and turn left because of the right brake never grabbing.
Is this my pressure plates acting up? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am

I would guess it is an adjustment issue. Check the freeplay in the clutches, and set them the same.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CFish
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CFish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 pm

CFish here, just putting 350 steering clutch together, check lock bolt on clutch linkage by through out bearing. if it is loose it will not disengage clutch. Just a thought.
good luck

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Pull the plugs out of the bottom of the clutch housings to drain any water out.
I had the same problem and it was half full of water. I thought the clutch was bad so I pulled the fuel tank, battery boxes and clutch top cover before I found out it had water in it.
I went ahead and removed the clutch assembly, cleaned everything up, and checked the measurements. The only new part I put in was the throwout bearing. When I put it back together it worked fine.

Joe