John Deere 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
doubleddfarm
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 350

Post by doubleddfarm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Does anyone know of the torque specifications on a John Deere 350? We have the books ordered but husband is not good on waiting!! He would like to overhaul the engine but we don't have the specs on any of that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Donnie & Diana

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

doubleddfarm
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by doubleddfarm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Sorry for not providing all of the necessary information. It is a John Deere 350, gasoline, with a 135 engine. My husband is an ag mechanic so he knows how to overhaul engines, he has just never had to work on one of these and didn't know the specifics when it came to torque specs.

I don't expect anyone to provide dozens of pages of information, I thought someone might have had more experience in overhauling these engines and could give us some handy pointers. We have gotten plenty of help from others in the past.

You can download manuals from John Deere but in order to properly use them you need to have a printer, which at the moment doesn't work and as the downloads are only good for 72 hours that was not an option.

And trust me I have looked everywhere you can possibly look and could not find the torque specifications.
Donnie & Diana

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 pm

doubleddfarm wrote: You can download manuals from John Deere but in order to properly use them you need to have a printer, which at the moment doesn't work and as the downloads are only good for 72 hours that was not an option.
I am a little curious about that- I thought the downloads were Adobe Acrobat PDF files that you could then save to your computer. Is that not the case? If not that is good to know and would probably swing me to another format when ordering.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 pm

You can save the manuals, you have 72 hours to do it. Go to your purchase on THEIR site, and then send them to your computer from there. First you buy it then a little while later it shows up on their site as "my downloads" I have done it a few times now and it is not that complicated. Once on your computer you can print it out any way you like. I copy them to a flash drive from my file and take it to a copy centre and have it done on 3 hole paper both sides and put it into yellow binders. If I make a mess of a page or two, with grease or a pen, I just print out the page or pages and insert them back in the binder. I also look up things on my laptop but in the shop, I like the printed sheets better.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 pm

I would be more then happy to give you the torque specification if I had them but my manual is for a diesel and dont know if it would be the same, good luck. Mike
Michael

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Regarding torque specifications... I found many torque and tightness specifications on one page in my 350 manual... 50-35-4 for the engine.
At the end of each section in the manual you will usually find the specifications page(s)
Both the gas and diesel are covered on the same page. Sorry I can't just copy the page and send it to you, I do not want to take the chance of copyright infringement causing problems for this site.
Scott
backhoe attachment.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:54 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2manytrucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 2manytrucks » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:50 am

wow... anybody that has actually assembled an engine themselves would know that only a few basic specs are all that is needed to begin the reassembly. liner protrusion,ring end gap, bearing clearance,rod and main torque,etc. cant someone that has a manual just give the poster a helping hand without all the drama? jeezus, they said they had one on order. wish I had one, I would gladly provide what they needed to get started, and by then, their manual would probably be in.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 am

2manytrucks and others...

I looked through my PDF file 520 page service manual from Deere for the 350. About 50 pages cover the basic engine. Final 4 pages are all engine specifications including a page with over two dozen separate torque requirements. As well in the other 46 +- pages of the engine section almost every page has some specifications specific to the items being discussed on that page.
If someone asks for a few specifications, listed so I/we know what they are looking for to get a start on a engine, I too would send them on. But, what must be understood is that there is a LOT of specifications in the manual.

Please give a little understanding to the very helpful members on this site who give their best to help those who ask. You will see if you read lots of archival posts how many requests for information have been made from persons who are not willing, too cheap, or for some reason just haven't yet purchased a manual for their crawler and ask for advice on topics that are clearly posted in the manual.
We all know the manuals will not ever replace the experience and hands on knowledge passed on here from the members.
I will speak if I can for the helpful members when I say...
Allow a little frustration to come through from time to time when requests come in that are basic information in the service manual that everyone should own.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2manytrucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 2manytrucks » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 am

KenP wrote:2manytrucks-
Your comments are meant to be insulting and they are.

maybe you should read your own

quote "kenp"
"If you want to overhaul a motor without all the necessary information, that's your business. "

lol!! kenp, this site is very helpful to all that read it, that is why I was so shocked when this poster asked for some torque specs to get started with the assembly, and got blasted. she stated her husband was a mechanic, so I'm sure he doesn't need a manual to tell him every little tidbit that is in the manual.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:53 pm

2manytrucks wrote:
KenP wrote:2manytrucks-
Your comments are meant to be insulting and they are.

maybe you should read your own

quote "kenp"
"If you want to overhaul a motor without all the necessary information, that's your business. "

lol!! kenp, this site is very helpful to all that read it, that is why I was so shocked when this poster asked for some torque specs to get started with the assembly, and got blasted. she stated her husband was a mechanic, so I'm sure he doesn't need a manual to tell him every little tidbit that is in the manual.
Certainly I prefer to see civility on this site over others I frequent that are more salty, but those of us that have been on this site for years understand KenP's frustration. We literally get dozens to hundreds of posts a year asking for dimensions, specs, etc. without bothering to see if there is anything in the archived posts and the first suggestion is to get the manual before you do anything major.

I can appreciate that DD's husband is a mechanic, but there are some things about Deere crawlers and engines (even between models) that are different from other manufacturers and so one wrong step in assemblycan mean a giant headache later. For instance there is a lot of information on here about the wet sleeves and updates to the sleeve seals- have they looked at that information?

KenP is just trying to save others problems by suggesting they wait for the manual to come in before they start a critical procedure like engine assembly. His point is that if there are pages of specs on torques and the like, it is important to have them all at least handy for reference, and especially a mechanic should understand that.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

2manytrucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 2manytrucks » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm

point taken. and I understand about the importance of service manuals, as I probably have 40-50 of them. I have them for most everything I own( except my 450B, but I look every week on ebay and when I find one for the right price, I'll own it) I even have the detroit 53 series for our deaf (or soon to be) members. lol! but lets not lose sight of what the original poster asked for-- TORQUE SPECS-- not how to install wet sleeves, or what lube to use on the o-rings. lets not assume he needs a service manual to change a thermostat,starter,etc. ( some manuals will spend 2 pages on simple stuff like that) since the original poster stated her husband was an ag mechanic, lets assume he is no stranger to working on diesel engines and just needs to know what to torque the rods,mains,and head to. lets end this right now and not take up any more space here. if anyone wants to discuss it further, my email is sdcwelding@aol.com